Periodic snapshot retention policy not working (old snapshots not being deleted)

derzahla

Cadet
Hi, I can't seem to get old snapshots to be autoremoved as I have configured. I am taking recursive hourly, daily and weekly snapshots of my entire zpool. Policy is configured to save 3 hourly, 14 daily and 8 weekly snapshots - but nothing ever gets deleted. I just realized I have hundreds of hourly snapshots per dataset and daily snapshots going back 2 months. Is there a trick I'm missing here?

rudds

Dabbler
It seems like there's a bug with custom retention policies for snapshots as I'm having a similar problem.

TrueNAS snapshots my pool hourly with a 3-day expiration, and all snapshots are also synced to an external pool overnight via a replication task, with a custom retention set on those replicated snapshots of 6 weeks. However I just checked my external pool and those snapshots are also being deleted after 3 days to match the originals, so it seems like the system is ignoring the 6-week custom retention in the replication task.

Also found this post from last year with similar problems, so this feature seems to be giving a lot of people trouble: