Performance difference with version 12

How is performance in 12.0 compared to 11.3?

• Total voters

Elliott

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I'm reading through the release notes for TrueNAS Core 12, and it sounds like a lot of great features, however most of it is not relevant to my workload. I just need very high throughput and reliability for a few clients on a closed LAN. So I'm not interested in crypto, 2FA, API access, VPN, or cloud. I am interested in this part: major performance improvements, including SMB, iSCSI, ZFS and more. Is there some place I can read more details on this? I haven't installed v12 yet, but I'm slightly concerned that all these new features might actually tax the CPU more and hurt performance.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Of course it depends on what you are doing, but from our perspective many specific area's of the stack saw performance improvements in 12.0 vs 11.X. SMB got some love, as well as the base OpenZFS code. Additionally, 12.0 brings with it a new FreeBSD kernel which better able to handle NUMA, so if you have lots of cores / processors, it should scale better on the higher end. Features like 2FA, API, VPN or Cloud don't negatively impact performance and are only used if you explicitly enable them.

x130844

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I'm reading through the release notes for TrueNAS Core 12, and it sounds like a lot of great features, however most of it is not relevant to my workload. I just need very high throughput and reliability for a few clients on a closed LAN. So I'm not interested in crypto, 2FA, API access, VPN, or cloud. I am interested in this part: major performance improvements, including SMB, iSCSI, ZFS and more. Is there some place I can read more details on this? I haven't installed v12 yet, but I'm slightly concerned that all these new features might actually tax the CPU more and hurt performance.
make sure you test extensively, for me, freenas 11.x was so good, I had 100% confidence in the developers that I made the mistake to upgrade to truenas and even migrated my pool. My trust was stupid as it was a huge mistake for me. Truenas has only been issues after issues.
I'm currently reverting back to freenas. 11.x. and I'll keep an eye on truenas and probably set a test system as I don't trust this product anymore and no one seems to know what's going on with the issues.
Going from 850MB/s transfer with great uptime on freenas to 230Mbs or worse and spotty, disconnect, weird bugs, is not an upgrade for me.
Maybe my migration was faulty and is only relevant to me. who knows. the migration said everything went well so I'm not even sure how to debug all the issues. After spending 4 days of trying to debug, I'm giving up, I just tested my old freenas drive and the speed is back (same machine, same everything except the OS).
Again, maybe it is just something unique to me, maybe truenas is awesome and faster, just not in my case.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
make sure you test extensively, for me, freenas 11.x was so good, I had 100% confidence in the developers that I made the mistake to upgrade to truenas and even migrated my pool. My trust was stupid as it was a huge mistake for me. Truenas has only been issues after issues.
I'm currently reverting back to freenas. 11.x. and I'll keep an eye on truenas and probably set a test system as I don't trust this product anymore and no one seems to know what's going on with the issues.
Going from 850MB/s transfer with great uptime on freenas to 230Mbs or worse and spotty, disconnect, weird bugs, is not an upgrade for me.
Maybe my migration was faulty and is only relevant to me. who knows. the migration said everything went well so I'm not even sure how to debug all the issues. After spending 4 days of trying to debug, I'm giving up, I just tested my old freenas drive and the speed is back (same machine, same everything except the OS).
Again, maybe it is just something unique to me, maybe truenas is awesome and faster, just not in my case.

Please make sure you've captured a debug / made a bug ticket so we can investigate this. It could be related to a network driver or something more unique to your setup, but we won't know until investigating.

x130844

Dabbler
Please make sure you've captured a debug / made a bug ticket so we can investigate this. It could be related to a network driver or something more unique to your setup, but we won't know until investigating.
I'm all for that, I created an entry in this forum about speed, can you tell me if you have a sec, in my case, which action I should be taking to reflect the issue in the log? dd? iperf3? copy a file with smb? or cp a file locally? or run Aja on client using freenas/truenas as the server? (this last test is very obvious of the huge difference between truenas and freenas).
Also, I considered network driver to be an issue, but on both 11.x and 12. I have same full network speed if I use iperf3 for example. both 10Gb.
So I discarded that possibility.
I can still boot in either 11 or 12. but in the process of restoring my jails/VMs.

MikeyG

Patron
@x130844 I've had speed issues with 12 on multiple systems that use 10gb NICs. iperf tests didn't reveal those issues, but SMB and iSCSI transfer speeds were terrible. You may want to submit a bug detailing your experience, and they will likely ask you to submit a debug with it. If you want to see what I submitted for my issues, you can it here: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-107593

x130844

Dabbler
@x130844 I've had speed issues with 12 on multiple systems that use 10gb NICs. iperf tests didn't reveal those issues, but SMB and iSCSI transfer speeds were terrible. You may want to submit a bug detailing your experience, and they will likely ask you to submit a debug with it. If you want to see what I submitted for my issues, you can it here: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-107593
interesting, I'm also using chelsio 10Gbe.
I could try and see if another 10Gbe would show the same issue.

MikeyG

Patron
I have a Chelsio T520 and an Intel X550. Same issues with both.