People asking for help and then rejecting advice

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I think the thread at

is a poster child for a variation on the theme of this thread.
What I think is the problem there is that so many vendors (not naming any in particular, they know who they are) not only allowed but encouraged this multiple-interfaces-on-a-subnet design by making their disk arrays compatible with it, or making whitepapers using it as an example.

There's a lot of evolving standards and best practices but I've yet to have a multiple-subnet IP SAN design steer me wrong. (Or FC, but that's another kettle of fish.)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Stop the presses, this just in, IP works well when used as designed.
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

With the increasing availability of >1Gbps network equipment it makes more sense to just bump up the individual interface speed rather than scale out horizontally by interface count. I'll just go sulk at home though since my 10Gbps connectivity is still limited to point-to-point here.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
My office is sort of crazy-town.
I know the feeling.

I'll just go sulk at home though since my 10Gbps connectivity is still limited to point-to-point here.
If only bridge mode could be implemented at the console level, that would make life a lot easier. A misconfiguration per the GUI kills all connections, yet the console mode still only allows individual interfaces to be built up and / or assigned to link aggregation pools. Still no bridge mode setup at the console last time I checked unless you go option 9 and start playing with the ifconfig plumbing directly.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
start playing with the ifconfig plumbing directly.

<slightly puzzled> You mean, you don't? :smile:

I'm sorta laughing here because my FreeBSD systems run some complicated custom scripting to handle bridging setups for OpenVPN and some other stuff, often a dozen or more bridges on a host, automatically plumbed and deplumbed. My first impression of the quoted bit was "well that's easy" and then the next one was "but you've been doing it for decades, jackarse."

When you write a lot of your own toolsets, you sometimes forget how dependent other people are on those toolsets, not just using them as a helper to make life easier, but actually not knowing what's going on under the hood. Then I remember that I stopped servicing my car years ago and pay a guy to do it instead. Heh.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I’m still puzzled that the console interfaces menu tree does not include bridge configuration setup. If LACP is supported, why not bridge mode?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I’m still puzzled that the console interfaces menu tree does not include bridge configuration setup. If LACP is supported, why not bridge mode?

I don't think bridge mode is used for anything in basic networking, is it? It only becomes involved once there's services such as jails, containers, or VM's.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Ok I must be dense. I thought bridge mode would basically turn the two or more ports into a basic hub (or switch?) to which the NAS is attached by default. Is that thinking incorrect? I’ll go read up on it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Ok I must be dense. I thought bridge mode would basically turn the two or more ports into a basic hub (or switch?) to which the NAS is attached by default. Is that thinking incorrect? I’ll go read up on it.

Yes, it can and it will, but I do not believe such a configuration is offered in TrueNAS even in the GUI.

We have sometimes discussed it in the old days in 10G ethernet threads where someone really didn't want to buy a pricey datacenter switch and wanted to be able to hook up a PC or two using the FreeNAS box as a "bridge" or "hub/switch/whatever" network device so that there would be a 10G-10G link from PC to NAS, then 1G from NAS onto the rest of the network including upstream Internet. That does work but it isn't highly recommended for what I hope are obvious reasons. Plus it's 2022 and there are cheap 10G options.

I do not recall ever having seen any hint of support from iXsystems for using the NAS platform in this manner. Bridges have, TTBOMK, been exclusively applied as targets for virtual services supplied from the NAS host.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, it can and it will, but I do not believe such a configuration is offered in TrueNAS even in the GUI.
Oh, it is. Create a bridge interface with e.g. all four interfaces of your Supermicro X10 board as members. Move IP address configuration to the bridge interface. Voila. 4 port switch for free. I have been running this for quite some time.

And a bit if nitpicking, @Constantin: there is no bridge mode. There is a bridge interface that turns an arbitrary number of physical (ethernet, wifi) and/or virtual (epair) interfaces into a switch.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Patrick, correction duly noted, thank you. Could you point me towards a resource that teaches me how to set up a permanent bridge interface between all (in my case four) ports?

For example, I’m afraid of these settings getting nuked if I upgrade and restart.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
  • go to Network > Interfaces in the UI
  • remove IP address from your currently active NIC
  • add "up" into the "Options" field of each NIC you want to use and make sure to check "Disable Hardware Offloading" for each
  • click on ADD to create a new interface, select type "bridge"
  • name it "bridge0"
  • check all interfaces you want to use in the "members" selection
  • add IP address
  • finally go through the regular test --> save workflow

sretalla