PCI-e extension. Completely lost noob

macim90

Cadet
Hi.

I am completely true with TrueNAS. I have read lots of posts about SAS extensions over PCI-e and it seems that there is a lot of cards on the market and I need a recommendation.

I need at least 4 extra SAS, but preferably 6 and I am running everything on old Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h. I was looking LSI 9201-8i 9211-8i IT Mode and 2x 8087 SATA and IBM M1015 6Gbps SATA/SAS HBA Controller IT MODE inc. 2x Cable Full & Low Profile but I am not sure that this is right choice. Do you have any recommendation, preferably something that doesn’t need flashing.

artlessknave

Wizard
SAS extensions over PCI-e
this is not a thing. are you trying to say a SAS controller over PCIe? this appears to match the rest of your post.
9201-8i 9211-8i IT Mode and 2x 8087 SATA and IBM M1015 6Gbps SATA/SAS HBA Controller IT MODE inc. 2x Cable Full & Low Profile but I am not sure that this is right choice.
this is the way.
there are annoying numbers of fakes on ebay, but if you are buying from something like amazon there should be no problems.
ensure you are getting forward break out cables if going directly to disks. (reverse breakout cables use the sff8087 side for the disks)

there is an ebay store by youtuber theartofserver; the store has everything flashed, and also importantly, tested but can be a bit pricey. the youtube channel has a number of good videos explaining SAS and the different controllers and connectors.
Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h
obligatory "This is not supported hardware for TrueNAS" yada yada blah blah. the realtek LAN in particular can be really problematic.
correct hardware specs would include your disks/processor/RAM/etc