Pass SSD through to VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard

sjp770

Dabbler
Ok, well the 4 core trick seemed to be ok, at least it seemed a little smoother at boot. But ive got logs from blueiris showing restarts at 4:30am and 5am for no reason, then this morning I find I cant access the freenas dash or the vm.

Im going to try to approach this from a different angle.

vShpere on the m.2, pass through the disks as RDM to a freenas VM on the m.2 and I should be able to keep the data on them while I test. Then I can run a pfSense VM, a Server 2016 VM and an Ubuntu VM for plex.

Havent gotten the plex plugin to start either.. I think i'll just relegate FreeNAS to storage duties.

sjp770

Dabbler

kdragon75

Wizard

kdragon75

Wizard
In 99% of cases, there is NO good reason to use RDMs. Its not faster! Abou the only good use case is if a device required non-standard SCSI calls from the guest OS that can't be translated.

sjp770

Dabbler
Ok, so it's not truly passing through the disks. Any pointers for the correct way to pass them through or shall I just start searching?

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by a moderator:

kdragon75

Wizard
Do some searching, I though @Stux had a thread on the subject but I'm not seeing it. Again, what you need is PCI pass through.

sjp770

Dabbler
Ok, so it looks like the controller shows up as an Intel AHCI controller that does not allow passthrough. Thoughts on running it as is for a few weeks until I get a supported HBA card?

kdragon75

Wizard
Ok, so it looks like the controller shows up as an Intel AHCI controller that does not allow passthrough. Thoughts on running it as is for a few weeks until I get a supported HBA card?
Depends on how much you trust the drives. You should be ok. Don't forget to setup automatic startup/shutdown orders.

sjp770

Dabbler
Depends on how much you trust the drives. You should be ok. Don't forget to setup automatic startup/shutdown orders.
3x2yr old WD Reds.. plus one new WD Red. All are 4Tb.

I'll get something on the way asap.

sjp770

Dabbler
Got my new LSI 9211-8i HBA card installed today. Just went into maintenance mode, shut it down, added the card, booted, enabled pci passthrough on the LSI and rebooted. Went out of maintenance mode, edited the FreeNAS VM, removed the RDMs, added the pci device then booted the VM. Zero config to do on the VM - all shares worked as before.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.