Partitioning Harddrive partitions into small portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike360x1

Contributor
I am new to Freenas 8 and thus I would then call myself a n00b here. So I'm assuming this is the right category to hit.

Ok before I describe to you my problem, here's just a simple description of my parts list

Mobo Acer ( have yet to find out model)**Freenas Has no problems with that mobo so far
80GB HDD (for Freenas)**Yes I know its overkill. I know you can install such a program on a simple 4 GB flash.
320GB (for Storage) **Its my temporary Drive, I am going to test this system and see if it fits my needs. if this works, then I will switch to a RAID 1 with 2-2TB WD REDS
2024MB RAM
Pent D 3.4Ghz CPU

Now, what I want to do is separate my work files from my Other stuff. Now in order for this to happen I want to have different partitions or different file stores to separate movies from word documents. From my experience ( 2 Weeks of Google and fooling around with the FREENAS GUI) It seems that I can only have different partitions with different *physical hard drives I attach to it. I can never split one drive into 2 different partitions.

I guess by now you know what I'm going to ask. Can you split one Physical Hard drive into multiple partitions and have a way to have different users log on to different partitions. ( IE: CIFS Or FTPS)

//from what I've heard, You need to have your System to set to ZFS which I cannot at the moment because I am limited by my ram (and anything else you guys think will limit me).
However, if it is absolutely necessary, I will take into consideration to upgrade my RAM.

JaimieV

Guru
With ZFS:
You can create multiple Volumes from your physical disk set (equivalent to partitions of the set, not each disk)
You can create multiple Datasets in a volume (each can have a max size and various other attributes).

With UFS I don't know what's available.
But to do what you want you could just make separate shares for your movies and documents and whatever. Add whatever user security you need, each share can have its own list of allowed users.

mike360x1

Contributor
With ZFS:
You can create multiple Volumes from your physical disk set (equivalent to partitions of the set, not each disk)
You can create multiple Datasets in a volume (each can have a max size and various other attributes).

With UFS I don't know what's available.
But to do what you want you could just make separate shares for your movies and documents and whatever. Add whatever user security you need, each share can have its own list of allowed users.

ok I'll do that, So then I guess partitioning and data tables are possible only with zfs?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Lets make something very clear. You cannot partition a disk and create multiple pools/volumes with only one disk, FreeNAS GUI expects you use the whole disk.
However, with ZFS, you can use datasets, which are pretty much like partitions on filesystem level.

mike360x1

Contributor
Lets make something very clear. You cannot partition a disk and create multiple pools/volumes with only one disk, FreeNAS GUI expects you use the whole disk.
However, with ZFS, you can use datasets, which are pretty much like partitions on filesystem level.

ok I see, I guess I'll consider a upgrade to 6GB thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.