Page Fault When Using megarec.exe and FreeDOS 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
Can anyone help me resolve the page fault shown in the screenshot? I'm attempting to erase the current firmware on an IBM M1015/LSI 9211-8i HBA card.

Look at my signature block for a description of the hardware I'm running FreeDOS on.

Any advice for fixing this one?

Thanks a ton!

Bob

crash_when_using_megarec_small.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Use FreeDOS with as little crud as possible. You want it to look as little as possible like a real OS.

BobCochran

Contributor
I'm still wondering where I put the original FreeDOS bootable image file that I used for flashing P13 onto the HBAs. It was a long time ago. Maybe I ought to be using FreeDOS 1 instead of 1.1...

Bob

BobCochran

Contributor
I'm happy to report that my spare IBM M1015 adapter has been successfully flashed into IT Mode with LSI BIOS version P16. I am using a FreeDOS USB boot image from here:

http://www.chtaube.eu/computers/freedos/bootable-usb/

...and he recommends loading FreeDOS without any drivers (option 4 on his boot menu.) That was what I needed to do, select option 4 instead of option 1.

I'm still on FreeNAS version 9.2.0, and I hope it will accept an adapter with P16 flashed onto it.

Thanks for your help, Eric. Your one-line remark set me to researching whether I am using FreeDOS correctly for the firmware upgrade.

Bob

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I had a similar experience flashing the BIOS on my X10SLM+-F. It would mysteriously fail when the default FreeDOS environment was booted. Using a barebones environment provided along with the main one, it went without a hitch.

toadman

Guru
I think the sas2flash utility is included in freenas. Could you not just flash it from a terminal session on freenas?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think the sas2flash utility is included in freenas. Could you not just flash it from a terminal session on freenas?
sas2flash doesn't erase the M1015 firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.