Owncloud v Nextcloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
So, we're just over a year since Nexcloud was forked from ownCloud and I was wondering what route people had taken?

ownCloud was working fine for me, and whilst I did create a jail for Nextcloud and sync'ed up the databases and files, I've stuck with ownCloud for the last 12 months.

Today, I updated to 10.0.2 which went fine, although I did loose the Document app which was handy a few times for collaborating on documents. I did play around with ONLYOFFICE though and got that running in a Ubuntu VM and it's actually a much better solution, albeit running another VM server on FreeNAS. 10.0.2 seems a little faster, and still seems to be working fine for my requirements, so I don't think I'll be jumping ships for the next 12 months.

Just got me thinking what others had done that were using ownCloud last year....

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Switched to Nextcloud. I primarily use mine as a hands off picture backup solution for all our phones using the mobile app. It's been good except that an update a few months ago broke the sync and you had to set it up all over again. I didn't notice that until after a few months had passed which could have been devastating if any pics were lost during that time.

Other than that I'm very happy with how it performs and the updates have been relatively simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.