owncloud install conflicting with mariadb

Status
Not open for further replies.

markarm

Cadet
I am trying to install owncloud package version 8.0.4. I am wondering why the installation conflicts with previously installed mariadb. I would like to setup owncloud using MariaDB/MySql database.

I have the latest FreeNAS 9.3 STABLE installed.

The MariaDB is setup properly and running.

The following console output shows the conflict:

root@owncloud:/usr/local # pkg install owncloud
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
mariadb100-client-10.0.17
mariadb100-server-10.0.17

New packages to be INSTALLED:
owncloud: 8.0.4
mysql56-client: 5.6.24_1

The operation will free 87 MiB.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right,

The problem here is that mariadb and mysql have the same executables, etc., and you can't really run both at the same time. If you install from ports, you should be able to get around this by judiciously unchecked the database options.

You could also associate the owncloud to a sqlite database. That too will require a ports install.

By the way, this whole thing where the pkg install of owncloud tries to install mysql is new. I don't know why, or at what point, that started bundling owncloud with mysql instead of sqlite like they used to. I meant to ask up the chain to find out...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Right,

The problem here is that mariadb and mysql have the same executables, etc., and you can't really run both at the same time. If you install from ports, you should be able to get around this by judiciously unchecked the database options.

You could also associate the owncloud to a sqlite database. That too will require a ports install.

By the way, this whole thing where the pkg install of owncloud tries to install mysql is new. I don't know why, or at what point, that started bundling owncloud with mysql instead of sqlite like they used to. I meant to ask up the chain to find out...
Looks like they made the default build option MYSQL. This requires mysql56-client, which conflicts with mariadb100-client, which is required my mariadb100-server.
you could probably get around this using the '-f' flag.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Looks like they made the default build option MYSQL. This requires mysql56-client, which conflicts with mariadb100-client, which is required my mariadb100-server.
you could probably get around this using the '-f' flag.
Yeah I'm wondering why they did this. I had a user a few weeks ago that was trying to follow my video on youtube, and he had this issue with mysql being installed with the pkg.

I told him to go to ports, and deselect any mysql's, and turn on the sqlite's during the full build out. He wound up not having any problem with that, and it was fine.

I would like to know, however, why this decision was made. I think the average dude pkg install'ing owncloud probably wants sqlite3, and if he wants MySQL, then he probably knows enough about what he's doing to make that happen.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm wondering why they did this. I had a user a few weeks ago that was trying to follow my video on youtube, and he had this issue with mysql being installed with the pkg.

I told him to go to ports, and deselect any mysql's, and turn on the sqlite's during the full build out. He wound up not having any problem with that, and it was fine.

I would like to know, however, why this decision was made. I think the average dude pkg install'ing owncloud probably wants sqlite3, and if he wants MySQL, then he probably knows enough about what he's doing to make that happen.
I know it's been "recommended" to use mysql for a production instance, even going as far as showing warning during initial setup if using sqlite. maybe the port maintainer decided to push that option even further.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I know it's been "recommended" to use mysql for a production instance, even going as far as showing warning during initial setup if using sqlite. maybe the port maintainer decided to push that option even further.
I suppose. I might contact him for his thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.