OS on flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkenstein

Cadet
I have tried most of the different server operating systems over the years and the last few years always put the actual os on a flash drive. I have read allot of using just a flash drive for the operating system part of the FreeNas . My question is if I use a flash drive will it work just as well as using a ssd, mainly talking about speed of operation.

Evertb1

Guru
I have tried most of the different server operating systems over the years and the last few years always put the actual os on a flash drive. I have read allot of using just a flash drive for the operating system part of the FreeNas . My question is if I use a flash drive will it work just as well as using a ssd, mainly talking about speed of operation.
FreeNAS will run fine from a flash drive but a flash drive is not as reliable as an SSD. A lot of failed flashdrives have been reported over the years by me and other FreeNAS users.

I my self lost three of them (always during or right after an update). At that point I just gave in and bought a small SSD and never looked back. At this moment I am running FreeNAS for a long time from a single SSD without any problem. The only time my server goes off-line is when I need to get rid of the sucked up dust every now and then. The price can't be a problem as a small SSD is not expensive anymore.

By the way: a failing Bootdrive should not be a very big problem if you develop the habit to download your configuration file regulary. Reinstalling FreeNAS and uploading your configuration is easy and will take no more then 30 minutes or so.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
My question is if I use a flash drive will it work just as well as using a ssd, mainly talking about speed of operation.

Day-to-day operational speed is essentially identical regardless of boot media, whether it be a USB flash drive, spinning disk, or SSD.

When it comes to booting, applying updates, and system stability, an SSD will be worlds better than a USB flash drive.

porkenstein

Cadet
Thanks guys so much. I have a SSD I'm not using so I guess I'll go that route. I'm retired and get quite bored. I don't really need a different operating system but it's a lot of fun to learn new ones. Been using openmediavault for a while and it works great and it's real simple but going to try this now. Again thanks for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.