OS on Flash Drive - Possible to "Move" to SSD?

RDM

Explorer
I have been running my system for a long time (FreeNas but now TruNas) from a flash drive.

So, I was poking around on forumns when I saw that this is NOT really recommended any longer.

I was always leery about it and Its been a long time.

My question is, can I somehow transfer my Flash OS to an SSD (I didn't even realize how cheap they are now).

I'm thinking that I would have to rebuild it from scratch but I thought I would reach out to see.

TIA for any advice or insightfulness!!

RDM

You can export your config file (including the secret seed), then simply install TrueNAS as a fresh installation on the SSD.

Once booted up for the first time, import your config file. This will restore all options and automatically import your available ZFS pools.

Make sure to also export all your encryption keyfiles from pools that use encryption!

Alternatively: If you really want to do this "on-the-fly", you can do the "attach-detach dance" for your boot-pool.

System -> Boot -> Actions -> Boot Pool Status

"Attach" your SSD to the only device listed in the vdev, which will resilver your boot-pool into a mirror vdev.

Then "detach" the USB stick for from your boot-pool.

You will be back to a "striped" vdev (single drive) boot-pool, but now running off the SSD.

You'll also need to remember to configure your BIOS's default boot device to point to the SSD now.

If this sounds convoluted: It might be better to do the "from scratch" method above.

Last edited:

RDM

Explorer
Thank you @winnielinnie for the quick reply. Yes I believe I will take your advice and do the 'from scratch ' method lol.

Thanks again!

RDM