OS Disk Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

aplarsen

Cadet
I have a really old FreeNAS system that has run really well for almost 7 years. Completely unupdated over that span. I have only had to replace one of the array drives.

0.7.1 Shere (revision 4944)
OS is running on a 40GB IDE drive
Data stored on a SATA RAID5 of four 750GB drives. Gives me roughly 2.0TB of usable space. I'm using between 1.0TB and 1.5TB.

This morning, I heard the machine start to cycle. It boots, runs for about 15 minutes, then reboots on its own. I suspected heat at first and messed with the fans a bit to get the disks below 40C. Still rebooting. SSHed into the box and poked around. The OS disk was at 101% capacity, so I figured a log file somewhere was huge. Poked around for quite a while to see if there was a huge directory somewhere. Nothing. Finally realized that the OS disk was only registering as 120MB. Not good.

It boots. I can browse the file structure of the array both over a Windows share and through SSH. The web GUI shows that the array is rebuilding, but it's all there.

I pulled the OS disk out and tried to mount it to a Windows device with my USB HDD cable. No dice. The drive is making a horrible whining sound, so it seems pretty hosed.

I have a new commercial NAS product sitting on my floor, and I started to copy data over to it, but the 15-min cycle of reboots is preventing it from getting very far.

Pretty sure everything is backed up to the cloud, so we're not in super panic mode here. BUT, if I had to do a
full restore from CrashPlan, it would take a really long time. I'd much rather get the data over to a safe place via local copying if I can. I'm just afraid that on one of these reboots, it's not going to come back up, and I'll have a really hard time getting anything out of it.

What should I do to ensure the health of the array while I copy data over and retire this box? Should I boot from CD and try to mount the array? Put in a new hard drive and install the same version of FreeNAS?

gpsguy

You're on the wrong forum, please visit: http://www.nas4free.org/ instead.

FreeNAS 0.71 became NAS4Free about 5 years ago. iXsystems bought the FreeNAS name and developed v8 and 9.x of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.