Oracle, Solaris and ZFS shrink pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
Not sure someone else has started a thread on this topic, (could not find one).

Today I got a notice in my E-Mail from Oracle that a ZFS bug I had been following since 2006 or 2007 was updated. It's the ZFS one to shrink pools, (remove top level VDEV). The bug has been open since 2003, (before ZFS was released to the public).

I held little hope that it was real progress. As an outsider, (not working for Oracle), I can't read most of the notes. But, this one I could read, though I did not understand what it was talking about. What I do understand is it mentions support for Solaris 12, (basically development Solaris), in October 2014. The reference to the next version of Solaris is common for new features. Every indication is that it won't be back ported to Solaris 10, though 11 is still in the picture.

Now the meat of the meal. The short note talks about support for mirror pools to begin with. And using ZVOLs built on the pool, replacing one of the VDEVs, then re-silvering. Pretty strange. I had to check the calendar to make sure it was not April 1st.

I probably should not post the exact message. Might anger someone at Oracle. But. it was just too good to hold back.

Status
Not open for further replies.