Optimum pool Configuration and/or suggestions for hardware

kalixaq

Cadet
I have quite a few parts lying around after moving into my new pc and planning to convert these into a NAS.
Just before getting started I am struggling to create a reasonable pool setup with all these different size drives and SSDs.
Can anyone recommend a good setup which may include an ssd cache, I also want to use a ramdisk for plex transcoding temporary directory.

Here is what I have:

Code:
intel i5-4670K 3.4Ghz
32G Ram
SSDs:
256G Samsung SSD 840 PRO
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 1Gb Cache

mechanical:
3TB WD30EZRX Western Digital Caviar Green
2TB WD2002FAEX Western Digital  Caviar Black
4 TB WD40EFRX Western Digital Red
4 TB WD40EFRX Western Digital Red

I have room to possibly add 2 more mechanical SSDs. If you think this might massively improve my setup I can buy 2 more 4TBs.

Thanks for all the help!

Sasquatch

Explorer
first of all why you think L2ARC or SLOG are necessary in your use case? l2arc with insyfficent ram(32G is probaly too little) can slow you down.
get 2 extra 4TB HDDs and sell others, or use them as cold backup.

kalixaq

Cadet
first of all why you think L2ARC or SLOG are necessary in your use case? l2arc with insyfficent ram(32G is probaly too little) can slow you down.
get 2 extra 4TB HDDs and sell others, or use them as cold backup.

Hi Sasquatch, thanks for the reply.

This is the first time I am building a DIY NAS. I had to google what "l2arc" is :) apparently it is the 2nd level caching achieved by (typically) SSDs.
I did not say, I 100% need this. I was just pointing out the hardware I have at the moment.
And since my mobo has 2 dimm slots, the ram I have 16GBx2 sticks is maximum. Well theoretically I can try to find 32G sticks compatible with this old board, but I don't think they'll be cheap or common.

I have been doing some reading about this, and I think it might be better for me to go with a system with BTRFS instead of ZFS due to my mixed bag of hard drives. any opinions on BTRFS?