Opinion on reusing a SuperMicro Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredonia

Cadet
I have a recently retired SuperMicro server that I'm considering using for a FreeNAS build. This would be used in a small business environment. I have most of the parts, but would need to purchase drives and anything else suggested.

The server is a X8DT6-F with 24GB per CPU. I bought a couple of CPU's off Amazon to bump it to the max performance supported Xeon X5690 for cheap so aside from RAM, I have the MB maxed out performance wise.

What I think I'd like to do is get a set of 8 SAS drives (either 6TB or 8TB) and a pair of SATA DOMs for boot drives. My other choice is to use a pair of 128GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD's for boot drives. I'd like to encrypt the system which I don't think will be an issue based on a short bit of research. We'd be running this of 1GB ethernet now but could possibly upgrade that to 10GB in the next year or so.

I think this system is more than adequate except for sounding like a small aircraft but would appreciate any input before I drop a few grand on drives.

Thanks in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
and a pair of SATA DOMs for boot drives. My other choice is to use a pair of 128GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD's for boot drives.
Since you don't get the neatness of power over the SATA connector, the best option would be SSDs. Cheap ones from reputable brands are fine, no need for overkill like the 850 Pros (unless you want to store the .system dataset on the boot pool).
I'd like to encrypt the system which I don't think will be an issue based on a short bit of research.
It's doable, but increases the risk of data loss.
I think this system is more than adequate except for sounding like a small aircraft but would appreciate any input before I drop a few grand on drives.
It should work well.

fredonia

Cadet
Thanks, I was mainly going to use the Samsungs since I have a bunch around but I hate wasting all that space and quality too so maybe I'll pick up a few smaller cheaper units for this purpose.

What do you mean "increases the risk of data loss?" Do you mean assuming I might forget the passphrase, or is there something inherent in using encryption that can cause data loss that I don't know about?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you mean assuming I might forget the passphrase
That's one.
or is there something inherent in using encryption that can cause data loss that I don't know about?
Let me put it like this: It's designed to keep people out. The procedures for disk replacement (and whatever else is needed) need to be very carefully followed. Not paying attention can easily break things.

fredonia

Cadet
Fair enough. I looked at the procedure and it looks easy enough. But I think your assessment looks accurate: "not paying attention can easily break things."

Status
Not open for further replies.