OpenVPN, Transmission, NoIP Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Xirtam

Dabbler
I got my FreeNAS machine up and running, got all my media over to it, and it works great. The longer I use it, the more potential it starts to show than I originally anticipated.
I got a jail up and running with the Transmission plugin. Also in that jail, I setup and configured OpenVPN to connect to my PIA account that I recently got. I only want torrents using the VPN. I also have a free NoIP host name, which I set up the NAS to update my normal ISP WAN address, since its dynamic.

The problem that I have is when the OpenVPN is running, I can access the transmission from an app on my phone on my wifi, no problem, or any computer on the network for that matter. I cannot access the transmission externally though, using my NoIP name. I know the name resolves correctly, because I have other things that I manage remotely that I can access. I can't seem to find any solutions to this specific issue. The error message that I get is "Connection Timeout" when I try. I do have the correct port forwarding on my router to the local IP of the transmission/OpenVPN jail. It doesn't matter if I put in wrong credentials or not, it still times out, so that tells me that its not reaching the jail.

The way I'm understanding it, the jail is using a VPN, which it does give it a new WAN address. But it still has the local IP. So, if I access my NoIP host name, which resolves to my current ISP WAN, then sees the port forward of the transmission, 9091, to the LOCAL IP, the VPN specific address shouldn't matter. Or what am I missing / doing wrong? I'm not using the firewall in the jail currently, so its not getting blocked. If I disconnect the VPN, I can access it externally just fine. I even tried port forwarding 443, 943, and 1194 to the jail, with no luck either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what I am missing? Thanks so much in advance.

djlove

Cadet
Bump, same issue as the OP. Installed OpenVPN and using PIA in the transmission jail, can't use remote app on phone when away from local network. I have found a thread on the forums with a script for port forwarding without the PIA client but it does not work.

DrMuffin

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.