OpenVpn on freenas8

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrin

Adding packages is not currently supported and it would like be very difficult to do. It is on the roadmap for 8.1

krnkrn

Cadet
it would like be very difficult to do.

I saw :(
I tried in several ways with no result. Unfortunately I can't use the old version because the NIC isn't supported, so I think to 2 solutions:
1. Using an external firewall with ovpn installed on it
2. Add a pci express nic and install the 0.7. In this case, someone knows if there are problems of compatibility and what kind of chipset is better for do it?

tnx

thewiep

Dabbler
you could also flash alternative firmware on your router if it is supported
I have DD-WRT on my Linksys router and have OpenVPN running on it

if yours isn't supported you could always buy a cheap supported on, might even be cheaper than the card you plan on purchasing.. :)

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
I think it would be great to have OpenVPN (or any other VPN) built-in to FreeNAS as a default feature. Many users want to use their NAS boxes on the internet, or accessible via the internet and offering a VPN for them would secure their communications to the NAS.

One situation where I can see many users using it is when they have 2 NAS servers in 2 different colo hosting data centers and need todo ZFS snapshot or rsync backups across the internet, via 3rd party datacenter networks.

yvann

Cadet
The openvpn package works but an error occurs during instanciation so ... is it possible to add the if_tap module in freenas ?

Sun Jul 3 16:34:42 2011 Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically

Milkwerm

Dabbler
PFSense 2.0, also built on the freebsd/NanoBSD platform has a very good OpenVPN implementation. So it shouldn't be that difficult to get running in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.