One Dataset, many SMB shares, or one dataset per SMB share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_G

Explorer
What is the general consensus on this?
Right now I have my box configured with one Dataset and multiple top level directories that are shared.
AD permissions seem to be working great and I have started copying some of the data from unRAID to Freenas via rsync.
Today I started second guessing my decision. :)

It wouldn't be a big deal at this point in time to blow away everything and start over, hence this post.
Nothing is in production yet.
I have no need to use quotas.
The only possible benefit I can see to having a dataset per share is the ability to set different periodic snapshot tasks.
Am I missing something?
Would be interested in hearing how others have it setup and if they wish they had done it differently and why.

m0nkey_

MVP
You can never have enough datasets ;) It gives the added advantage of setting specific properties, such as blocksize, compression, quotas. It's also possible to delegate management of a subset of datasets to a regular user.

Matt_G

Explorer
So basically, what I hear you saying is, one dataset per share because it gives you much more flexibility.
Even if I am not using the options now, I would have the ability down the road.
And having options is never a bad thing.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Due to flexibility one dataset per share is preferable. Just keep two things in mind:

Moving data between datasets involves copying data to the new location followed by deleting the old copy, just like with plain old disk partitions.

If possible avoid nested datasets. Some features like the SMB recycle bin do not work correctly with nested datasets and in general nested datasets often lead to tricky situations if not administered very carefully.

garm

Wizard
If possible avoid nested datasets. Some features like the SMB recycle bin do not work correctly with nested datasets and in general nested datasets often lead to tricky situations if not administered very carefully.

That’s a bit vague as most datasets are nested. I keep fighting misunderstandings due to statements like this in other forums..

What I assume you mean is to not nest datasets under a smb share root?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Status
Not open for further replies.