Old Jails gone after update form FreeNAS 11.2 to 11.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makki

Explorer
Hi,

maybe a simple, dumb question : after updating FreeNAS from 11.2 to 11.3 my Jails (nextcloud) have simply disappeared,
I cannot access the old GUI anymore, jls, iocage list says nothing, the command "warden doesnt exist.
Anybody with a quick fix?

Michael

Alecmascot

Guru
Go back to 11.2 using the boot menu. Then migrate your warden jails using the published scripts, check them out in iocage and upgrade again after deleting the 11.3 boot environment.

Edit

Last edited:

Makki

Explorer
@Alecmascot thanks a lot!! Downgraded to 11.2U8, all fine again.
And I will stay there until is it either automatically fixed or until I migrate the complete system, not interested in fiddling around wether its jails, bhive, iocage or whatever..
IMHO iXsystems should choose one thing and then stay with it for 20yrs, changing it - like now - every second major update - is IMHO Pain-in-the-ass..
Edit/PS: I really love FreeNAS but thats annoying, being left behind with a disfunctional system after an update..

Michael

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Don’t complain for breaking your system, if you didn’t do your homework before upgrading. The release notes for all versions of 11.x very clearly stated iX was moving from warden to iocage for jails.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
@Alecmascot thanks a lot!! Downgraded to 11.2U8, all fine again.
And I will stay there until is it either automatically fixed or until I migrate the complete system, not interested in fiddling around wether its jails, bhive, iocage or whatever..
IMHO iXsystems should choose one thing and then stay with it for 20yrs, changing it - like now - every second major update - is IMHO Pain-in-the-ass..
Edit/PS: I really love FreeNAS but thats annoying, being left behind with a disfunctional system after an update..

Michael
I will agree with you that upgrading jails has historically been a PITA but once you migrate to iocage you won't have to worry about that any more.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS 8 was released in 2010 and introduced Warden based jails/plugins, IIRC. That is 10 years ago. Warden jails were clearly deprecated but still supported in 11.2 including a migration tool provided and only now removed in 11.3.

Makki

Explorer
@Patrick M. Hausen: Well I agree, having read all the stuff now. But I started with FreeNAS End-2016, and there was no single clue in the Release-Notes 11.2->11.3
I have no clue who warden or iocage might be - and to be honest -I dont even care in this case, as long as it just works. If that is not possible over at least 10yrs to keep that stable and update-able I'll simply have to go back to an Ubuntu VM/Host/VM

Michael

Samuel Tai

@Patrick M. Hausen: Well I agree, having read all the stuff now. But I started with FreeNAS End-2016, and there was no single clue in the Release-Notes 11.2->11.3

This is listed in the 11.3 Guide, Section 1.1:

Deprecated and Removed Features
  • Warden has been removed along with all CLI and web interface support for warden jails or plugins installed using FreeNAS® 11.1 or earlier.
If that is not possible over at least 10yrs to keep that stable and update-able I'll simply have to go back to an Ubuntu VM/Host/VM

Ubuntu hasn't exactly been a model of stability either over 10 years, viz the whole flame war over the Unity desktop. For open source software that has to respond to economic realities, security vulnerabilities, and rely on volunteer developers who have their own agendas, you're asking the impossible. That FreeNAS is as stable as it is is somewhat of a miracle. The ONLY software I'm aware of that achieved stability over 10 years or more was the Space Shuttle flight software, because it only had to contend with a closed system.

Makki

Explorer
Again, who TF is "warden", is it the brother of darth vader? :eek:
For Ubuntu (really Debian) on Servers I don't care about desktops. Really. it's pretty stable with 5y LTS und upgradeable.
And yes - as FreeNAS/FreeBSD is!
I think the problem is that the GUI of FreeNAS just went away, believing in things like "warden" "iocage" etc.pp

Samuel Tai

Again, who is "warden"?

The Warden was the original jail management software imported from PC-BSD (later renamed to TrueOS) into FreeNAS 8. When TrueOS was discontinued early in 2020, FreeNAS needed to migrate to a new jail management software, as no more updates would be forthcoming from upstream.

I think the problem is that the GUI of FreeNAS just went away

The legacy GUI was based on django, which had become encrusted with age. Much of this is discussed in the 11.2 release announcement.

Makki

Explorer
Understood, just the wrong management-technologies/scripts were chosen.. Still don't understand why this must essentially break any existing native BSD-Jail?
Still trying around, Docker Host "rancher OS" is this the next "warden-fail? No Docs, no apt, no dpkg, opkg?

Samuel Tai

Still trying around, Docker Host "rancher OS" is this the next "warden-fail? No Docs, no apt, no dpkg, opkg?

See this post. Again, RancherOS appears to be deprecated upstream.

danb35

Hall of Famer
changing it - like now - every second major update
They've changed it once. That's it. And it's a change that really got quite a lot of discussion, as well as being documented in the release notes and the manual, as did the deprecation of the old GUI. Your assumptions about the history are simply not correct, and you really have no excuse for not having been aware of it before doing the upgrade.

Makki

Explorer
Just as feedback and for the archive. Thanks again! "Rancher OS" as offered for a Docker-Host by FreeNAS seemed much to strange for me.
I've set up an Ubuntu 20.04 Server VM (simply as I know Debian/Ubuntu best) for docker and will also migrate the nextcloud from the old warden-Jail to this (or another one cloned).
So everything still running capsuled on the FreeNAS-Box, ZFS, Backups: Fine!

Michael

hertzsae

Contributor
Understood, just the wrong management-technologies/scripts were chosen.. Still don't understand why this must essentially break any existing native BSD-Jail?
The wrong software wasn't chosen. Warden was the standard, but has now gone away. It was used for 10 years. The clock didn't start when you put your system together in 2016. Iocage did not exist when they chose warden.

It wasn't just the 11.3 release notes that said it was going away. It was clearly documented in the 11.2 release as well. They intentionally made 11.2 the release with both warden and iocage. That way people had a release in which they could perform their migrations. There have been plenty of discussions over the years about this. You got surprised, because you didn't pay attention.

Have you made donations to the community? Have you given back in any way? Or do you just come here for help when you need it and to complain and judge something that has been given to you for free?

hertzsae

Contributor

danb35

Hall of Famer
But I started with FreeNAS End-2016,
Really? Yet you posted 18 months ago that:
FN worked seamless for many, many years
So I guess "many, many years" is only two years in your world. And you knew what warden and iocage were then, so why are you pretending ignorance now?

Makki

Explorer
Well I see, the topic "jails/warden/iocage/vms" is probably a very emotional one (?) :eek:
It's still correct, I used FN even long before - as NAS,NFS,iSCSI on other systems, but with warden-jails I started in 2016.

Michael

Samuel Tai

I will now put on my moderator hat, and warn all parties to this thread to dial down their rhetoric back to a respectful level. This is a friendly warning, and I won't add warning points.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well I see, the topic "jails/warden/iocage/vms" is probably a very emotional one
Not especially. But when you demonstrably knew it was coming almost two years ago (and chose at that time to ignore it and, I guess, just hope it would go away), and now are feigning ignorance of the change (and quite aggressively so), that doesn't do much to motivate the rest of us to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.