Old Honeywell NVR case + SuperMicro x10slh-f FreeNAS+ESXi all-in-one

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick31

Dabbler
Hello, I am planning to convert my existing hardware into home server with the following:

E3-1286 V3 Xeon
TS140 mobo 03T8873 - 1 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x4, 1 PCIe x1, 1gb Intel NIC
Dell H310 flashed to LSI IT mode HBA in the PCIe x16 slot.
32GB ECC Ram (currently I have only 24GB)
Cisco Intel i350-based quad NIC in the PCIe x4 slot.
4xWD RED NAS 8TB SATA
Intel X25-M 80GB MLC SSD
Intel S3700 100GB SSD
UPS

I will use X25-M as a boot drive for ESXi and datastore for FreeNAS VM.
I will passthru HBA to FreeNAS with 4 HDDs and S3700 connected.
I will configure HDDs as a zpool of 2 mirrors for the usable storage of 16TB.
I will overprovision S3700 and use 20GB (less? more?) for the SLOG of that zpool.
I will give FreeNAS VM 16GB RAM.
I will make some of that storage available to ESXi via NFS (or should i use iSCSI?) to use it as a datastore for other VMs.

I am going to run some usual home VM stuff like plex, seedbox, pfsense etc. and some other Linux/MS VMs to play with.
I am also going to use FreeNAS to store media library.
I will have backups of the critical stuff on a separate media.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

nick31

Dabbler
Well, since there are 0 recommendations in the last 20 hours, I assume my build is decent hehe

bigphil

Patron
Yes, it seems decent enough for what you're planning to do. Storage performance wont be that great with the hdd types and quantity that you have, but it'll work for a home AIO setup.

nick31

Dabbler
Yes, it seems decent enough for what you're planning to do. Storage performance wont be that great with the hdd types and quantity that you have, but it'll work for a home AIO setup.

Thank you for the reply.
I am adding S3700 for the SLOG device to aid with VMs performance. Unfortunately adding more hdds or P3700 exceeds the amount I am ready to spend at this moment because doing so involves total revamp - different mobo, cpu, case etc.

In your opinion, if I add 2 SSDs in zfs mirror exclusively for VMs datastore and use S3700 as a SLOG for this pool, will I notice better VM performance comparing to datastore on the HDDs? Will the difference be drastic?

bigphil

Patron
Yes, performance would be quite a bit better. I did the same thing on one of my home FreeNAS box's...went from 6 SAS drives in mirror setup to just two SSD's in a mirror. I also use Intel S3700's (400GB version) as my SLOG devices. The SSD's for my mirror are Micron M500DC's 800GB.

nick31

Dabbler
Does it really matter what size the S3700 for SLOG device is since the SLOG itself is around 20GB?

Also, may I use one S3700 as 2 SLOGs for different zpools (HHD for data, SSD for VMs) considering that these pools will not be stressed simultaneously?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bigphil

Patron
It doesn't really matter how large the SSD device is, although the more space they have, the better performance they typically have too. I wouldn't recommend carving it up to have the same device serve two different pools. The data pool will probably be ok with just the on-pool ZIL.

nick31

Dabbler
So the "server" is up and running. I had to rethink my strategy in terms of future expansion and speed.
I am no longer using TS140 mobo. I got X10SLH-F instead with IPMI and PCIe 8/8/4, dual NIC.
What else is going to change is that I will keep HDDs but I will get rid of all the SSDs except for the one for esxi boot/freenas vm datastore. Instead, I am waiting for Intel DC P3700 to arrive in mail. This will be my SLOG/L2ARC/SWAP. And I will have 4 extra HDD bays available for storage increase. Updates later.

nick31

Dabbler
Ok as promised here is the update. I bumped total ram to 32Gb, gave freenas 10gb. With my usage, I do not hit swap. If I will at any point I will give freenas more ram.
I installed P3700, OPed to 36GB - 20gb for slog, 16gb for swap.
Some pics here.
Before slog (tested at 4gb cuz had no space):
Z5GgSFM.png

After slog (similar results at 4gb):
uibSzdx.png

"Server" itself:
5C8PugR.jpg

I2YDJ6G.jpg

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh! That's an old AICIPC chassis I'm pretty sure. Nice to see things reused.

Status
Not open for further replies.