Off-site backup solution for non-techies

Status
Not open for further replies.

babba

Cadet
Hi,

i am running FreeNAS 11 on a HP Microserver Gen8 with a RAID-Z2 ( 4x 3TB WD Red). It's main purpose is to store our pictures and videos. It contains every single
picture of our kids from birth to now. The only other copy is on a portable USB drive, stored in attic of the same house.

I'd like to add an off-site backup to be on the safe side. Just in case of a fire, thieves, flooding, earthquake, etc. I also want them to be stored as safe as possible. Client site encryption is preferred but not a must. The big challenge is: I'd like a solution that is easy enough so that my wife (or any other family member) is able to restore data in case of my death. Any suggestions? I am currently syncing with Amazon S3 + server side encryption because she only needs to know my login credentials to get access. No further technical knowledge is required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you want a solution that doesn't require any technical abilities, just get a USB drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Nick2253

Wizard
If you want something super easy and non-technical, you want a service like Crashplan. The best thing to do is any kind of service that allows you to backup network mounted drives. Then you can just mount the drives on your client, and backup to the cloud.

However, I would suggest not worrying too much everything being doable by your wife or family. More importantly, I would suggest putting together a sort of technical document describing your network/backups/etc, and put that away in your safe deposit box. Also, make arrangements with a technical buddy to be the "executor of your technical estate", if the analogy makes sense. Then, in the event of disaster, your wife can provide your executor with the documents in the safe deposit box, and they can help your family with recovery and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.