BUILD Odd HBA / boot USB behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamBB

Explorer
I'm in the throes of building out a 'play' server to test out things that I don't want to try on a system with live data.

It's a Dell R710, 8GB, SAS9211-8i cross flashed to IT mode with version 20.00.07.00-IT.

The oddity is that it will only show 5 of the 6 hard drives and insists on including the boot USB in the list of drives (see below).

I know I must be missing something obvious, but I can see what! I've checked connectors, the HBA is set to 'no boot devices' the drives all appear to connect into the backplane properly (been there, done that before :)), but I'm at a loss. I've set up a few similar systems (live) but have never observed anything like this.

Please point out the glaringly obvious so that I can bang my head on the desk......

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.27.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.27.59 AM.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal for the USB boot device to be listed, you'll want to disable SMART for that device though, or the SMART service won't start, as for the missing disk, does the HBA have bios? If yes is the disk listed there? If no bios swap backplanes with a different disk.

GrahamBB

Explorer
Thanks for that. I actually searched for information on switching smart off on a USB and couldn't find anything.

It turns out I had not one, but two dead drives. Sorted that in the end, but FreeNAS will still only let me select 5 of the six drives in lists under 'Disks'. I'll keep slogging at it.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
Are all the drives seen by the BIOS?

Could any of the drives have been used with a different OS previously?

If you swap drives, cables and ports around can you find a pattern that identifies a hardware issue with either a particular drive, cable, or port?

Status
Not open for further replies.