NTFS USB3 External drive via CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtom10

Explorer
Hello forum,

I'm currently in the process of moving my data to a Microserver Gen8 (GT2020) Freenas box. I need to consolidate data spread on many external drives into one large (3Tb) WD USB3 Mybook drive so I can later copy said data onto the ZFS volume in the Freenas box. Data is spread onto several smaller external NTFS based drives.

My problem is that I have imported the source disks which are also NTFS, mount them and shared them via CIFS. Read-only access works without problems, write access hangs the operation on my Win7 desktop.

I need to do this since the only machine I have with USB3 is just the Microserver and I would prefer on using that to shuffle data around.

I know it's not recommended to mess with NTFS in this way but i'm limited with regards to options short of installing windows on the Microserver.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You cannot use NTFS for sharing and expect good results. Sharing via ZFS is the only supported option at this time.

It sounds like your only option is to install Windows on the microserver.

dtom10

Explorer
Yeah, I borrowed a laptop USB3 capable. Sorry to bother you with trivial matters, I was expecting a way to migrate data to the NAS more flexible. Granted that the drives that will eventually make up the zpool have data on a different type of filesystem that I wanted to migrate.

Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.