Mounting external NTFS formatted USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaws

Cadet
Hi All,
I've just installed freenas 8 on my HP microserver with 4 x 2TB HDD's in it.
I created a RAIDZ volume using all my 4 disks and want to copy existing data from an external usb hdd (NTFS) to my new RAIDZ volume. However it is taking FOREVER to copy through my 100mb LAN router. I read on a few posts an option to mount an NTFS volume and use Winscp to transfer via USB instead of through the LAN. I have tried to do this however it never seems to show up in the mounted volumes. Am I doing this wrong or missing something here??

Process I'm using: From GUI, going into storage, volumes, import volume, entering a name, selecting the external hdd from the dropdown menu, and selecting NTFS.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

torrin

Hi All,
I've just installed freenas 8 on my HP microserver with 4 x 2TB HDD's in it.
I created a RAIDZ volume using all my 4 disks and want to copy existing data from an external usb hdd (NTFS) to my new RAIDZ volume. However it is taking FOREVER to copy through my 100mb LAN router. I read on a few posts an option to mount an NTFS volume and use Winscp to transfer via USB instead of through the LAN. I have tried to do this however it never seems to show up in the mounted volumes. Am I doing this wrong or missing something here??

Process I'm using: From GUI, going into storage, volumes, import volume, entering a name, selecting the external hdd from the dropdown menu, and selecting NTFS.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

Check the command ntfs-3g, you need to mount your drive once it is plugged in.

esamett

Patron
you could buy a cheap gigabit switch and plug that into your router. that is what i have done. i have a gigabit backbone run from a cheap 100mbps router.

alaws

Cadet
Check the command ntfs-3g, you need to mount your drive once it is plugged in.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for my ignorance but im not familiar with the console commands.
So rather then trying to mount the disk through the gui, i use the above command from the console to do this? what is the correct syntax for using the command? Thanks.

leogariba

Cadet
Manuallly mount ntfs

Im having the same problem. Cant import ntfs volumes. While we cant do via GUI, you can manually mount it via console.

mount -t ntfs /dev/xxxx /mnt/mountpoint (Read Only)
ntfs-3g /dev/xxxx /mnt/mountpoint (RW)

:)

leogariba

Cadet
jpaetzel just sad: "There's a bug in the importer. It's being fixed now."

So, lets wait for the next build.. :)

When i try to mount it read/write with -t ntfs-3g i get
[root@freenas ~]# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt/backup
mount: /dev/da1s1 : Operation not supported by device
mounting read-only works fine
[root@freenas ~]# mount -t ntfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/backup
any sugestions what i am doing wrong?
Somehow it seems to think it is read-only, but when connected to a window machine it works fine.

jfr2006

Contributor
I'm using release 6959, but the importer function does not work yet...

jpaetzel, any idea when this will be available?

Regards

I forget to mention what i am running:

Hostname: freenas.local
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
System Time: Tue Jul 19 19:23:01 CEST 2011
Uptime: 7:23PM up 20 mins, 0 users
Load Average: 0.14, 0.07, 0.08
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386
I shall have a look at freebsd sites, maybe they have a clue.

Pomm

Cadet
Hello!

I'm new to FreeNAS and need some help:

I'm running FreeNAS 8.01 from an USB stuck on a small Neoware E140 ThinClient. Installation went well and I can access the webGUI.

Now I want to mount my external 2TB HDD. It is in NTFS and it doesn't work from the GUI. It is listed as da0s1 and da0s5 with 2 TB. The HDD is not empty.

How can I get the HDD available in my home network?

Pomm

Cadet
Update: Ich have found my HDD, but not with 2 TB and no data...

n8ni3vvg.png

ProtoSD

MVP
The method described in that thread has been discussed here in the FreeNAS 8 forums and is also in the FAQ here. There is no need to load fusefs because FreeNAS already loads the NTFS driver in the kernel at boot. If you look at the FAQ here you can see how to mount it from the command line. The thing that bothers me is that the GUI gives the same useless error when you try and mount NTFS, MSDOSFS/FAT, and UFS as recently reported by another user. It was reported by one of the development team that it was going to be fixed or had been fixed around beta-4. During the wait between beta-4 and the release of 8.01 none of the RC's fixed the problem. If I get time I will try and look at the source code and see what the problem is. Look at the Unofficial FAQ in my signature below for methods to mount NTFS and other filesystems from the command line.

EDIT: I should also mention I opened a ticket for this around beta-3. I'll update with the link to the ticket here so people can add to it and maybe it will receive some attention. Actually there are several tickets for this problem:

https://support.freenas.org/ticket/759

This one actually says that it was fixed:

https://support.freenas.org/ticket/539

ProtoSD

MVP
Update: Ich have found my HDD, but not with 2 TB and no data...

n8ni3vvg.png

I haven't figured out a solution (yet), but I have been able to reproduce this problem above. It seems that the mount point for the imported device gets created, but the device doesn't get mounted. The GUI then thinks it has succeeded and the info it displays would be the space used/available of the root filesystem.

T

thomasdk81

The method described in that thread has been discussed here in the FreeNAS 8 forums and is also in the FAQ here. There is no need to load fusefs because FreeNAS already loads the NTFS driver in the kernel at boot.

Sorry if I am spreading faul information, but fusefs reports an error stating I need to enable it. In every .conf I look its enabled, but I still get the error that I need to enable it. The method in my tread got it working.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hello Thomas,

Something must have changed, thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to give it a try again and update the FAQ. Hopefully they'll fix the GUI so it mounts non-native filesystems properly. It's strange because if you look in /boot/kernel, there is an NTFS.ko..... kldstat shows it is loaded, so I don't know why it shouldn't work. Ok, I'm off to take a look at this... Thanks for pointing that out again.

EDIT: I'm not sure when the change happened, but here's what I get on 8.02 when I use the method in the FAQ on a freshly formatted 4GB NTFS formatted flash drive.

[root@freenas] ~# mount -t ntfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/ntfs
Failed to mount '/dev/da0s1': Operation not supported.
Access is denied because the NTFS journal file is unclean. Choices are:
A) Shutdown Windows properly.
B) Click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar
notification area before disconnecting the device.
C) Use 'Eject' from Windows Explorer to safely remove the device.
D) If you ran chkdsk previously then boot Windows again which will
automatically initialize the journal.
E) Submit 'force' option (WARNING: This solution it not recommended).
F) ntfsmount: Mount the volume read-only by using the 'ro' mount option.
Mount failed.

If you try to start fusefs as in the link in post #12 above with this:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs start

You get the error "Will not 'start' fusefs because fusefs_enable is NO." HOWEVER, if you look in /etc/rc.conf AND /conf/base/etc/rc.conf, fusefs_enable is set to YES in both places!

If you just copy /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko to /boot/kernel/ (do mount -uw / first), then fuse will automatically be loaded everytime you boot. However, even with this loaded I'm still getting the error above.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thomas,

What version of FreeNAS are you using? I'm finding that both ways do not work for me. I even tried unloading the ntfs.ko module and using only fuse.ko. I keep getting the same error I posted above. I'm using version 8.0.2.

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, I found a solution from the command line AND the GUI now!
EDIT: I just tested this again and it DOES WORK WITH THE GUI
After you do the commands below, you should be able to import NTFS from the GUI.

• mount -uw /
  • cp /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko /boot/kernel/
  • Edit /boot/loader.conf and add fuse_load="YES" to the end with the next command:
  • echo fuse_load=\"YES\" >> /boot/loader.conf
  • reboot

Now mount from the command line works, but not using mount -t ntfs, but like this:

• mkdir /mnt/ntfs
  • ntfs-3g /dev/da0s1 /mnt/ntfs
Change da0s1 to your device/partition

Pomm

Cadet
This is too much technical for me.... :(

Where and how must I place the commands?

ProtoSD

MVP
The easiest place is from the console / command line, but if it is too technical, I'm not sure how to explain to you how to edit the file. You can use nano or vi, to edit with, but that is a whole other subject!

If you just want the GUI to work, you only need to do the first group of steps.

• mount -uw /
  • cp /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko /boot/kernel/
  • Edit /boot/loader.conf and add fuse_load="YES" to the end with the next command:
  • echo fuse_load=\"YES\" >> /boot/loader.conf
  • reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.