Not possible to use two different drives in a mirror?

llek100

Cadet
Hi, I am trying to create a mirrored volume with two SSDs, one SSD is 256GB and the other is 250GB.
I thought that it would just create a smaller usable space, but it does not allow me to create it at all.
Screenshot_20231201_013729.png

Here it says that mixing disks of different sizes is not recommended, but I cannot continue at all, you can see that the save selection is "greyed out".

Is there a way to ignore this recommendation and create it anyways?
Thank you in advance.

TrueNAS version: TrueNAS SCALE Cobia [release]

llek100

Cadet
Ok, so I've discovered a very janky solution, but it seems to work fine, I just edited the HTML for the button to allow me to click it:
1701393428570.png

I've basically removed the whole disabled="true" statement, and it created the volume without a problem.
Although if someone actually knows why it was "greyed out" in the first place, please let me know.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You know, class is just sleaze you get away with...

In all seriousness, there should be an override option somewhere. In your case, the warning could even be described as just noise, since the difference is small

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
I'm raising a ticket for this, there is the option to allow treat disk size as minimum on the wizard but this does not seem to be picked up if you open the manual disk selection page, thanks for highlighting this.

1701463395171.png

Ok, so I've discovered a very janky solution, but it seems to work fine, I just edited the HTML for the button to allow me to click it
You are one determined person.

I might try your trick the next time I get locked out of my email account. :wink:

za_skrub

Cadet
Saw the same thing when I was creating my first pool. The plan was to use 2 x 16TB drives as parity and 3 x 14TB drives for data. And webUI won't let me pass or assign even though I went with "manual config"...I think it's a bug. Thankfully editing the webpage worked.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Saw the same thing when I was creating my first pool. The plan was to use 2 x 16TB drives as parity and 3 x 14TB drives for data. And webUI won't let me pass or assign even though I went with "manual config"...I think it's a bug. Thankfully editing the webpage worked.
Counter-intuitively, it should work with selecting the smaller disk and choosing to treat the disk size as a minimum; however, if you need to use manual vdev creation for other reasons (eg: selecting specific disks) then this won't work.

1705505684795.png

1705505735827.png

1705505793511.png

Manually editing the page is a brilliant workaround though. :grin: