Noob question, link aggregation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayb

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am trying to set up a NAS with a management interface and a link aggregation in the same /24 network

Management interface has the address 192.168.0.101 and I want the lagg0 to have 192.168.0.102 and be dedicated to, say, NFS traffic.

I do, however, keep running into this:

lagg.png

I don't understand why this doesn't work, and how to get around it?

Can someone explain/tell me how to make this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayb

Dabbler
So I need to set a link aggregation, delete my admin config and set a proper IP on the aggregate then?
Seeing as making a subnet for just admin purposes would be kinda overkill, that is.

Nick2253

Wizard
Or you can just forget about the separate management interface entirely. The traffic required for managing FreeNAS outside of setup is minimal.

Rayb

Dabbler
I just always considered admin interfaces a good configuration ;)

Bear with me here, I assume this would work:
  • Set different address for the admin interface (as it is the only one active today, and I installed before I put in the 2 new interfaces.
  • Get a laptop and connect directly to the admin interface's IP
  • Set correct IP for the aggr0
  • Delete admin interface
  • Add admin physical interface to aggr0?

Nick2253

Wizard
I just always considered admin interfaces a good configuration ;)

I understand this perspective, because it's pervasive in the industry, but I've yet to meet anyone who can actually justify the benefits of this setup. If you are going to completely segregate the management side, I totally get that. But based on your original comment about an admin subnet being overkill, what's the justification?

Bear with me here, I assume this would work:
Or you could do it all from the console, and not worry about futzing with a laptop.

Rayb

Dabbler
I understand this perspective, because it's pervasive in the industry, but I've yet to meet anyone who can actually justify the benefits of this setup. If you are going to completely segregate the management side, I totally get that. But based on your original comment about an admin subnet being overkill, what's the justification?

No justification, just force of habit I guess. You are right, of course.

Or you could do it all from the console, and not worry about futzing with a laptop.

True, forgot about the console menu for a while....
It would take roughly the same time tho ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.