Noob -- properly setting up users

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaJiKatz

Cadet
I'm about 2 days in on this and every time I think I'm getting close, I'm wrong.

I work at a university and I have n-students working under me. Each student has their own laptop.

FreeNAS 11 is installed and working.

If someone can help me set up the following, or point me in the right direction, then I should be able to get the rest going.

I have two datasets (user1 and user2) inside a Users dataset (HDD1\Users\user1\ and HDD1\Users\user2).

I would like to set up the NAS, so that user1 (part of a Users group) can only log in to user1's directory and user 2 (part of a Users group) can only log into user2's directory. Each with a different password.

my goal is to have each of my students have access to a private folder for themselves to store their files. I think i have already figured out how to get shared folders that they can all see with their credentials.

most students are running windows but some are mac users.

I suspect that this is trivial to accomplish, but, I can't seem to find a video or documentation that I can fully understand.

ethereal

Guru

MaJiKatz

Cadet
I watched those videos and had hoped that single user profiles wouldn’t need me to edit all the permissions. Needless to say, I was wrong. Thanks for the help. I got it running just how I wanted! Now I’m tempted to add a Nextcloud cloud to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.