Node 304 Fan Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Explorer
So I've started my build and ran into the following issue.

The Node 304 has 3 case fans (2 front fans, and 1 rear fan). On my motherboard - asrock E3C226D2I I connected my CPU cooler to CPU_FAN1, the rear fan to REAR_FAN1, and one of the front fans to FRNT_FAN1. I don't see where else to plug in the second front fan.

I know a lot of people are running this mobo/case combo, so hopefully I'm just missing something?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I've started my build and ran into the following issue.

The Node 304 has 3 case fans (2 front fans, and 1 rear fan). On my motherboard - asrock E3C226D2I I connected my CPU cooler to CPU_FAN1, the rear fan to REAR_FAN1, and one of the front fans to FRNT_FAN1. I don't see where else to plug in the second front fan.

I know a lot of people are running this mobo/case combo, so hopefully I'm just missing something?
Not enough fan headers? Buy a Y-adapter to ruin two fans off one header.

Z300M

Guru
Not enough fan headers? Buy a Y-adapter to ruin two fans off one header.
Or use an adapter to tap into one of the disk-drive power lines.

_Will_

Explorer
Thanks guys. I will probably just buy a Y-adapter. Since both fans in the front should be running at the same speed it shouldn't be that bad if I'm only getting RPM feedback etc. from one front fan.

enemy85

Guru
I have that mobo and case. If u check ur case, back on the top there is the fan speed regulation button, if u notice there is a controller with a split where to plug the 2 fan power cords and then u can control both from that

_Will_

Explorer
I have that mobo and case. If u check ur case, back on the top there is the fan speed regulation button, if u notice there is a controller with a split where to plug the 2 fan power cords and then u can control both from that

Thank you for this suggestion.

From what I can tell, this fan speed regulation option would be a manual control of the fans (there would be no communication between the mobo and the fans) via the switch on the back of the case - is this correct? When fans are plugged directly into the mobo I'm assuming the mobo monitors temperatures and then adjusts fan speeds as required. If this is the case I think it might be a better option to go with the Y-Adapter. Let me know your thoughts.

Maturola

Explorer
Thanks guys. I will probably just buy a Y-adapter. Since both fans in the front should be running at the same speed it shouldn't be that bad if I'm only getting RPM feedback etc. from one front fan.

Yes sir, Y splitter is the way to go for the front fans. They should work together unless you only have 2 drives.

enemy85

Guru
Thank you for this suggestion.

From what I can tell, this fan speed regulation option would be a manual control of the fans (there would be no communication between the mobo and the fans) via the switch on the back of the case - is this correct? When fans are plugged directly into the mobo I'm assuming the mobo monitors temperatures and then adjusts fan speeds as required. If this is the case I think it might be a better option to go with the Y-Adapter. Let me know your thoughts.

yes it is, this would be a manual control of the fans, but for my experience, with 5disks WD 3TB red inside and the medium speed set, with 27C ambient temperature, my disks idle between 33-35C degrees and even on medium duty never reach 37-38C which i consider a limit temperature.
Consider that the noise is minimum and the electrical saving between minimum and medium speed is really nothing, i'm ok with that solution, but obviously it's your choice

_Will_

Explorer
Thanks guys. I called asrock to find out what the maximum current draw is that the mobo header can safely support without risking burning it out. They said they have to contact their engineers in Taiwan and therefore won't have an answer probably until tomorrow or Wednesday. In the meantime I've called Fractal Design to find out how many amps the front fans pull at 12 volts. The 92 mm fans each pull 0.3 A at 12 volts. I asked if there's any in-rush current and they said they have no idea. As long as the mobo header can support at least 0.75 A then I'll use the Y-Adapter. Otherwise I might look into using a molex connector.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks guys. I called asrock to find out what the maximum current draw is that the mobo header can safely support without risking burning it out. They said they have to contact their engineers in Taiwan and therefore won't have an answer probably until tomorrow or Wednesday. In the meantime I've called Fractal Design to find out how many amps the front fans pull at 12 volts. The 92 mm fans each pull 0.3 A at 12 volts. I asked if there's any in-rush current and they said they have no idea. As long as the mobo header can support at least 0.75 A then I'll use the Y-Adapter. Otherwise I might look into using a molex connector.

Unless you get into 3k RPM territory, a single header should be able to handle two fans. Even then, it should work in most cases.

_Will_

Explorer
Unless you get into 3k RPM territory, a single header should be able to handle two fans. Even then, it should work in most cases.
That's great news! Thanks. I just got a Y-Adapter on order, so unless asrock gets back to me with some bad news then I'll proceed down this route.

_Will_

Explorer
FYI - asrock got back to me and they stated that the header can handle 1.25A or 15W. Looks like I'm good to go with the two front fans running from the single header!

Status
Not open for further replies.