SOLVED No new RELEASE dataset after upgrade

q/pa

Explorer
Running TrueNAS Core12.0-U1.1, I upgraded three of my jails to 12.2-RELEASE. No problems with upgrading, only one thing: there is neither an iocage/releases/12.2-RELEASE nor an iocage/download/12.2-RELEASE dataset, only the old 11.2-RELEASE and 11.3-RELEASE datasets.

Are those datasets only created by installing/upgrading plugins? The three jails I am referring to were manually created.

Last edited:

q/pa

Explorer
1610975176051.png

q/pa

Explorer
1610975253073.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you created your jails as clone jails (the default), they are still clones of the 11.x releases and iocage upgraded them in place. To provision new clone jails with 12.2-RELEASE, you would need to do an iocage fetch first. That would create the datasets you are missing.

Upgrading clone jails across multiple major versions accumulates a bit of cruft and somewhat thwarts the purpose of clone jails. I prefer base jails for that reason.

q/pa

Explorer
Thanks! OK, but what would you recommend to do now? I have to admit I am not very keen to destroy everything and create new base jails because it took me quite a bit of work (and luck) to get those running. I am not even sure I could manage this again...
Can I just go on and iocage fetch with 12.3 or 13.0?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is a regular occurrence with new releases. For my base jails, I have a TAR script that saves various config files and databases, after which I save the TAR outside the jail. I also document the jail properties and mounts via iocage get -a <name of jail> and iocage fstab -l <name of jail>.

Afterwards, I destroy and rebuild the base jail on the new release. I use the saved documentation to restore the properties and mounts. After starting the jail, I reinstall all the software, and then restore configs and databases from the TAR.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Samuel Tai But base jails can be upgraded in place without overhead and stale snapshots - so why don't you do that?

Samuel Tai

I've never tried it, because doesn't that just upgrade the source RELEASE dataset to the new release? Or does it switch the pointers to a new source RELEASE?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The latter. You can delete the unused old releases once all jails are done.

Samuel Tai

Huh, learn something new each day. @Patrick M. Hausen, have you ever run into software linker issues after this sort of upgrade? I came up with my procedure to avoid references to stale libraries with the wrong version.