no more updates since FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi

I am using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130 as my fileserver.

I can see no updates from that day on is this correct?
I'm surprised because i looked in the bugtracker and there was a version mentioned 9.3.1.
I always use the STABLE train for updates.

Cheers,
Thomas

rogerh

Guru
There is now! See Announcements in this forum. The link at the top of the page hasn't been updated, but the GUI update dialogue should find it. Although it is described as 9.3.1, it presents itself as a 9.3 STABLE update.

attilahooper

Dabbler
I see 9.3-STABLE-081147f-74d0d7a-cee4950 has arrived.

Has anyone updated yet ? - I'm skeered :)

mccann73

Dabbler
Have updated with no issues, it just a home system so not the best example, although I had to update my LSI HBA controllers to firmware version 20.

Cheers

rogerh

Guru
Last edited:

attilahooper

Dabbler
Have updated with no issues, it just a home system so not the best example, although I had to update my LSI HBA controllers to firmware version 20.

Cheers
I have the embedded lsi 2308 in the X10sl7f. Wasn't the rev 16 firmware required ? has this changed ?

aliquid

Cadet
I updated this morning before leaving for work and after a couple of hours my mail provider blacklisted me because the massive amounts of error report emails the NAS started emitting.

Emails says "mynas.mydomain : Aug 25 20:47:37 : root : problem with defaults entries ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;"
Process stats shows floods of "sendmail /etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -t (sudo)"

Googling points finger at libsss-sudo and /etc/nsswitch.conf, and the fact that I use the "SUDO suffix" of LDAP directory services for defining sudoers.

Something triggers an email that triggers sudo that triggers an error that triggers an email and the avalanche is moving.

rogerh

Guru
Another little note on this update, the little blue (user space) spikes in CPU activity every minute (I presume due to reporting data collection) are now about twice as high, above 20% in my (weak CPU) case rather the previous 10-12%. Probably not interesting for those with faster CPUs!

aliquid

Cadet
I updated this morning before leaving for work and after a couple of hours my mail provider blacklisted me because the massive amounts of error report emails the NAS started emitting.

Emails says "mynas.mydomain : Aug 25 20:47:37 : root : problem with defaults entries ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;"
Process stats shows floods of "sendmail /etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -t (sudo)"

Googling points finger at libsss-sudo and /etc/nsswitch.conf, and the fact that I use the "SUDO suffix" of LDAP directory services for defining sudoers.

Something triggers an email that triggers sudo that triggers an error that triggers an email and the avalanche is moving.

Messages log shows;
Aug 25 07:48:34 mynas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: /usr/local/etc/sssd/sssd.conf is not readable.

And somebody already filed a bug. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/11118

rogerh

Guru
I have discovered that the new version of the replicator does not prune outdated snapshots from the machine it is sending to. The old version of the replicator task did do this. What I am not sure about is whether the receiving system will prune "expired" snapshots using the snapshot task mechanism, if it is a FreeNAS server. If neither do it, then the replicated filesystem may need manually tidying. This could obviously be scripted if one is skilled enough to do it.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/11135

Lars Jensen

Explorer
I have the embedded lsi 2308 in the X10sl7f. Wasn't the rev 16 firmware required ? has this changed ?

Would also like to know if this has changed ?

Can anyone who have upgraded look up the version of the driver in latest freenas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardChargin

Dabbler
@attilahooper and @Lars Jensen, regarding the controller firmware version and the driver included in the 9.3.1 update, there is a discussion with more information here: 9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Long story short, it looks like the HBA/SAS controller firmware should get updated to version 20 (v20.00.04.00 ideally) to match the driver in the 9.3.1 update.

Last edited:

attilahooper

Dabbler
Thx Chargin', kind of you to reply. I went through the nail-biting experience with 20.00.02 tonight on my all in one and everything went as well as my poor memory would allow.

HardChargin

Dabbler
Thx Chargin', kind of you to reply. I went through the nail-biting experience with 20.00.02 tonight on my all in one and everything went as well as my poor memory would allow.
Glad it went well for you. So far I haven't heard of any negative results by using the v20.00.02.00 firmware on the 2308 with the new 9.3.1 update, just a lot of F.U.D. (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). This is where a decent data backup plan will definitely help one sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.