9.3 stable update of 14th Feb does not detect 16th Feb update

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
I really did not investigate this sufficiently to report it as a bug, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has noticed similar problems.

I have been using 9.3-STABLE-210502142001 and noticed no update available. Pressing the 'check now' button on a few occasions gave the 'no update available' message on several occasions. As I knew that 9.3-STABLE-201502162250 was on the download server I wondered why this was. So I rebooted in the previous 9.3-STABLE-201502110455 version, when the 9.3-STABLE-201502162250 was immediately offered after 'check now' was operated. The update was downloaded and the update was carried out uneventfully.

This happened before around early January, when one update was never offered (despite assiduously checking through the GUI) but the subsequent update was made available automatically as usual.

This is clearly not a very important problem, the updates can always be downloaded as manual update files if one needs them, but I'm interested to know if others have seen this.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, I noticed the update wasn't being picked up as available as well a few days ago. I figured I'd just wait for the next update to see if it persisted before lodging a complaint.

rogerh

Guru
OK, that's what I should have done if I'd wanted to look into it further. OTOH, they have now removed 201502142001 from the download server, which suggests there was something not good with it. I wonder if they have incorporated it's change log into 201502162250's change log? Do let us know if the next update is detected.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure why any updates were deleted. In fact, I didn't know that any updates were deleted.

rogerh

Guru
Maybe it wasn't deleted, its just become an un-update. If it disappears from my boot snapshot record overnight I will know better than to mention it again - don't want to become an un-person.

Edit: I don't actually know if it was ever on download.freenas.org, but it was definitely delivered to my machine by the update server.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe it wasn't deleted, its just become an un-update. If it disappears from my boot snapshot record overnight I will know better than to mention it again - don't want to become an un-person.

Edit: I don't actually know if it was ever on download.freenas.org, but it was definitely delivered to my machine by the update server.

LOL! Who is rogerh? I don't remember a rogerh on the forums. Anyone know who rogerh is?

rogerh

Guru
Seriously though, there is something funny about this pair of updates, because when I boot 201502162250 it announces itself in the System section of the GUI and the web page title as 210502142001. I suspect that could be why it wasn't recognised as an update. I haven't tried to check the exact names of the update files, I am not even sure if they are kept on the local machine. I strongly suspect that none of this is important, though, and I suspect the next update would have just gone through as planned.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Whoa.. just checked my Mini. It's on 201502142001! LOL! In fact, all of my systems are on 201502142001. :(

rogerh

Guru
I do wonder if 201502162250 is in fact the same update, just renumbered when it was (?belatedly) put on the update server. Edit - I mean the download.freenas.org server!

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is hilarious. I called one of the devs. His work environment is from the 14th and he doesn't get the option to upgrade either. So more to come. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I do wonder if 201502162250 is in fact the same update, just renumbered when it was (?belatedly) put on the update server.
I'm wondering the same thing.

Mlovelace

Guru
I noticed this also as two of my servers were on 201502142001 when 201502162250 was offered to my other servers but not to the first two. So I rolled back to the previous boot environment, deleted 201502142001, then updated them to 201502162250.

I figured there must have been something in the 14th push that was broken since it wasn't available on the download.freenas.org

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's the story....

Back on the 14th a build was created. The build compiled successfully. But for reasons that nobody knows of, the ISOs weren't created and put on download.freenas.org. Dru then asked why download.freenas.org/latest did not have anything in the folder.

(Key info that wasn't fully realized at that time: The build compiled successfully and ended up on the upgrade servers, but did not end up on the download.freenas.org servers at all.)

So Jordan kicked off another official build compile using the same source code from the 14th, but now it was the 16th, to see what went wrong. He was surprised to find that it built and everything was fine. So the upgrade servers and download.freenas.org were updated with the build from the 16th.

So no 14th build was ever available on download.freenas.org, and that explains that little mystery.

So why can't some of us update? The updater checks against a manifest to find out if there is a required update. Since both the build on the 14th and 16th were from the same source code, naturally the files should compile to the same end-result. So the updater sees a manifest and since it matches what is already installed (same source code, same final product) it disregards the "potential" update as not actually being an update at all.

So regardless of which build you are on (the 14th, the 16th, or something older), all is fine. The quirkyness has to do with the way the upgrader works, the fact that the update servers were updated while the download.freenas.org server wasn't, and the Earth is still flat.

What is in the future? Well, another update is due to come out in the next 12 hours or so. When that comes out then *everyone* will have a true update with previously unreleased fixes available and it will be able to be applied by everyone without problems.

Fun story, eh? ;)

Hope this clears everything up for everyone! Have a great weekend!

liteswap

Dabbler
Might this explain why one of my two servers (I haven't dared update the second!) gets stuck at 67% into stage 3 of the update process? I've waited hours for it to complete. But if I stop it and reboot, it can't see any zpools...

UPDATE: Since attempting the system update, I discover not just that the zpool has broken: two of the eight disks (in a dual RAIDZ1 config) have disappeared. Investigating...

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
Might this explain why one of my two servers (I haven't dared update the second!) gets stuck at 67% into stage 3 of the update process? I've waited hours for it to complete. But if I stop it and reboot, it can't see any zpools...

That is very unlikely to be related to the subject of this thread. If I were you I would go to System/Boot in the GUI and reboot into an earlier boot snapshot. The outcome is likely to tell you whether this is just an update problem or a pool problem.

liteswap

Dabbler
Roger, thanks. I didn't think it could be connected (the boot disk and zpool are physically separate devices of course) but nonetheless, regular hourly backups were happening onto that server until the update process started. I did go back in GRUB to a previous version of FreeNAS but the result was the same.

rogerh

Guru
If I were you I'd start a new thread in the general Help & Support forum, as you may have a serious pool problem and need advice from the experts. If you have spare boot device it would do no harm to do a new install without your config file and see if that will see your pool, but I wouldn't try anything else without expert advice, as it is possible to do more harm in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.