(No issue) Why adding a vDev to a pool using extend didn't grow volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monogrant

Dabbler
I was running a 3 drive vDev in a raidz1 as the only member of a zPool. I've added 3 more disks to the system and created another raidz1 vDev and added that to the zPool - this was all using the GUI to "extend" the volume. This went off just fine and appears as:

Code:
tb_tank
>raidz1-1
>>disk1
>>disk2
>>disk3
>raidz1-0
>>disk4
>>disk5
>>disk6

This seems to have increased the pool size, but the volume and zvols inside that have not grown.

Is there a way to use growfs to increase the volume and zvol to match the new pool size?

The volume didn't have a set size...
Code:
$ zfs get volsize tb_tank

NAME     PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE

tb_tank  volsize   -        - 

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Can you provide the output of zfs list in [ CODE ][ /CODE ] tags? I'm not sure why the size wasn't automatically expanded.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Zvols don't increase when your pool increases. They shouldn't increase either. If you want to increase them you will have to do so using the GUI if it lets you then in the OS that mounts that device you will need to expand the filesystem.

Your datasets did increase probably. Can you post a screenshot of your storage in the GUI?

monogrant

Dabbler
Yeah, I thought the auto expand was odd too. I've used it in VMs and tested the workflow before. Luckily this is just a test system so I'm able to move data around and destroy the volume, but I shouldn't need to. Per the FreeNAS docs this should have worked and acted like a RAID 50 - which is exactly the behavior I wanted.

Code:
$ zfs list tb_tank
NAME      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tb_tank   146G  3.37T   128K  /mnt/tb_tank

That's incorrect though...the volume should be ~5TB.

OFh-BzdN-Uw3CiOGKwLc_Gj55PZeKxqA4LSVW8rWEKw

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What are your hardware spec, drive size and number of drives?

monogrant

Dabbler
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813

Core2Quad @ 2.5, 8G mem

This pool is 3x 1TB + 3x 1TB (should be very straight forward I'd assume)

update: It might also be worth noting I have only modified volumes and mount points via the web GUI. I've just moved files around, permissions on my stuff, etc. in the cli.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your storage space seems to be exactly what it should be? Raw storage should be 6TB(5.2TiB) and usable should be 4TB(3.4TiB).

monogrant

Dabbler
Oh duh!!!

N-1 + N-1

Somehow I expected it to be closer to 5...not closer to 4. This is totally correct.

My mistake!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't see a problem with TB_Tank.

Edit: You 2 beat me to it.

monogrant

Dabbler
Thanks guys! Not sure how I missed this.

I found a way to verify graphically that I have more space - for anyone else that questions their expanded/extended storage.

Reporting > Partition

Here you can see the previous size and new available size of the volume.

YmZpXidoWVfUVIagqoZi-5-amNX1STVVRQguCUpcD7w

Status
Not open for further replies.