Is it possible to convert a striped mirror to a single mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Ha

Cadet
I had been running FreeNAS for a while, and I am running out of space. My current configuration is RAID10, and I want to add another mirror to my current volume with two relatively small disks, and later migrate back to RAID10.

CURRENT:
  • VOL1
    • MIRROR
      • DISK1
      • DISK2
    • MIRROR
      • DISK3
      • DISK4
Want to temporarily expand by adding another mirror:

TEMP:
  • VOL1
    • MIRROR
      • DISK1
      • DISK2
    • MIRROR
      • DISK3
      • DISK4
    • MIRROR
      • DISK5
      • DISK6
But later, after I purchase some higher capacity hard drives, I would want to migrate back to RAID10 or a single mirror. I was thinking about something like replacing two disks a mirror to ones with higher capacity, and somehow moving the data from the extraneous mirror(s) back onto the first two mirrors/single mirror, and remove the old drives from the volume.

Is this possible?

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I had been running FreeNAS for a while, and I am running out of space. My current configuration is RAID10, and I want to add another mirror to my current volume with two relatively small disks, and later migrate back to RAID10.

CURRENT:
  • VOL1
    • MIRROR
      • DISK1
      • DISK2
    • MIRROR
      • DISK3
      • DISK4
Want to temporarily expand by adding another mirror:

TEMP:
  • VOL1
    • MIRROR
      • DISK1
      • DISK2
    • MIRROR
      • DISK3
      • DISK4
    • MIRROR
      • DISK5
      • DISK6
But later, after I purchase some higher capacity hard drives, I would want to migrate back to RAID10 or a single mirror. I was thinking about something like replacing two disks a mirror to ones with higher capacity, and somehow moving the data from the extraneous mirror(s) back onto the first two mirrors/single mirror, and remove the old drives from the volume.

Is this possible?

Thanks
No. See here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
When you add a 2 disk mirror you are creating a vdev of those 2 disks. When you add that vdev to your pool, the only way to undo that is to destroy your pool and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.