no FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Dabbler
I got 8.0.3 installed and running. Imported my 7.2 volumes which were UFS format. No problems. Tried to setup FTP for anonymous login but it keeps prompting me for Home directory. I set it to / and it tells me that it has to be in a volume mount. Need help so I can get them working. Have LOTS of data to upload to the drives and some personal information to pull off one.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Anything you want to share or export in FreeNAS 8 has to be under /mnt/

For example, if you want to share the entirety of your imported UFS volume and you named it "tank", you would share /mnt/tank

The root filesystem is read-only by design.

Ian M

Dabbler
all imported volumes are set for Owner(users) as FTP and Owner(group) as FTP. I want to use anonymous login for for all 4 volumes. When I got to configure FTP i check Allow Anonymous Login, Allow Transfer Resumption, and click OK. Prompts me for Path. I click browse and only / appears.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
And they're all showing up totally fine in the volumes screen? The browse dialog should have / and then mnt just below that, which should be expandable to select volumes and such.

Alternatively, try typing in the full path (/mnt/volumename/whatever) manually.

Ian M

Dabbler
Everything shows fine in Volumes. All drives are healthy. Even show up in the Alert Monitoring. /mnt doesn't even show in the Path selection. I've tried typing manually but it keeps giving me the error "The path must reside within a volume mount point". I want to be able to FTP to all 4 volumes.

Build: FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)

I know in the Legacy version of FreeNAS you could access all directories in the /mnt directory.
I have 4 drives and each one is a separate volume. Need to access all 4 from a single FTP login. Don't want to have to constantly change it every time I need to access a different volume.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Ooooh, I see what you're going for now. Yeah, that may not be possible, someone else will have to weigh in.

Ian M

Dabbler
If it's not possible in FreeNAS 8 then I might just call it crap and go back to the Legacy version until it's fixed. Honestly I think the Legacy setup was much better. It was easier to navigate and more functional. Too bad it had to be changed to suit a RAID supporting company. RAID just doesn't work for my Rev3 repository when I have to use multiple drives to support the massive size.

Ian M

Dabbler
finishing my upload to one volume and calling the 8 series crap until things are ironed out. Going back to Legacy version.
Hopefully the admins and developers will consider adding back the functionality that was in the Legacy edition as far as allowing access to more than one volume at a time. Even tried with CIFS but unfortunately that's even limited to a single volume.
As a home user, I call the iXsystems version of FreeNAS JUNK. Better when it was geared towards community use and less business use.

Ian M

Dabbler
Think I might spend this weekend trying to build the OS from scratch. Downloading FreeBSD 9.0 and will go from there using the 7.3 build guide. Thinking I might be able to achieve it by setting the DefaultRoot in the proftpd.conf file to /mnt/*
If it works, I'll be sure to upload what I end up with to my server and those interested can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.