No configured network interfaces were found - try again manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Knopp

Cadet
I recently pickedup a rackmount NAS that had no OS on, naturally, i though it best to install freeNAS on it. The machine is 32bit so i decided to install 9.1.2.9 (i believe this is the most recent 32bit version?), the installation was a bit flaky, but after many attempts i managed to get to the console setup, all was good, until i read further down thescript. 'No configured network interfaces were found'. I googled this an found out that it was primarily because of an unsupported NIC. However,the onboard NIC on my baord is a Realtek 8110CS, which is on the list of supported NIC's. I selected ooption 1, and, which then says to select the itnerface. There was only one option, (re0 - romio echo zero), so i selected that, i followed a gudie instucting me to say no to everything but setting up IPv4, i did so and entered an IP manually and then said no to IPv6, it does its thing, but then when it gets back to the console, the same thing happens. Any suggestions as to what to do next? Could i be anyting to do with the ram? Its running 256mb, (nothing i know but its all i have right now). Any help is apreciated as im a real noob to this stuff.

Nick

D

dlavigne

You'll need another solution if you want to use that hardware for a NAS as it doesn't even come close to meeting FreeNAS' minimum hardware requirements.

Even if you did manage to get it connected, you will face huge problems and it will fail. 256MB's of RAM is not even close to being enough.

Recommended minimum for FreeNAS is 8GB's of RAM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
RecommendedRequired minimum for FreeNAS is 8GB's of RAM.
FTFY.

@Nick Knopp, don't know what to suggest as an alternative. As others have said, FreeNAS won't run with that little RAM, and even if it did, you shouldn't trust it. NAS4Free, which grew out of the codebase that used to be FreeNAS, used to run from a 256 MB USB stick (I know, I did it), but even then I think it required more RAM. There are plenty of other, mostly Linux-based, NAS OSs, but I'm not sure which (if any) of them would work reliably with such a low amount of RAM. Turnkey Linux Fileserver suggests that it may operate with only 256 MB. And even if they would, the Realtek NIC would continue to be crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.