SOLVED NFS/SMB for Kodi

joncy92

Explorer
Hi All,

I've got a FreeNAS box running 11.2 and I've created a pool with a few datasets. I'm now trying to share the dataset with Kodi and I've tried SMB, NFS and WebDAV.
I've enabled all three services and created the shares but I'm unable open them on Kodi to access the media.
I previously has a Synology NAS which had an NFS share for Kodi and this worked perfectly so I know the networking side isn't an issue.
Are there some specific settings I need to enable for the share or services? Has anybody managed to get this working?
I've already searched extensively for answers but I've only found one thread with a possible solution that didn't work for me.

Any help and ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks

G8One2

Patron
What is it your trying to do? Stream media? Im not sure if i can answer your question. You probably need to have a user and storage pool with permissions set just for Kodi.

Alecmascot

Guru
I have set windows permissions on the dataset and use an NFS share.
I have EVERYONE set to "modify"
In KODI : nfs://ipaddress/mnt/vol1/movies
KODI is running on Libreelec
It's a bit of a mixture security-wise for legacy reasons, but 100% reliable.

KrisBee

Wizard
@joncy92 Don't know KODI, but are you using methods/screens as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z9TDHgKO0U ?

Did you try the "add network location" option and then pick SMB as the protocol, etc? I don't know, but KODI may rely on using insecure SMB1 to browse for SMB shares, whereas FreeNAS defaults to SMB3 and those SMB shares may not be browseable within KODI.

A NFS share ought to be more straightforward to use. I'd start with using NFSv3 for the FreeNAS NFS service, but unlike @Alecmascot I''d stick to using unix permission on an NFS shared dataset. I would have thought you should at least see any NFS shares in KODI, even if you then have to sort out FreeNAS dataset owner & group ids in order to access individual media files in KODI.

Last edited:

joncy92

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Turns out in my tired an impatient state I made a number of errors when creating the dataset and shares.
I've reconfigured the dataset as unix and updated the persmissions for the unix share. While Kodi cannot automatically browse the network and 'find' the share, it can be added manually via the sources.xml files.
Thanks everyone for the help as it pointed me to look in the right places!

altriox

Cadet
Does anyone know how I can add NFS shares to Kodi?

Old post, but I figured I'd add this in case others run into problems. I wasn't able to get KODI to connect to my TrueNAS via NFS until I changed the "Allow non-root mount" option in Services -> NFS. After that, you should be able to access it via using the Zeroconf browser in Kodi when adding a media source.

Paravirtual

Dabbler
Old post, but I figured I'd add this in case others run into problems. I wasn't able to get KODI to connect to my TrueNAS via NFS until I changed the "Allow non-root mount" option in Services -> NFS. After that, you should be able to access it via using the Zeroconf browser in Kodi when adding a media source.

Thanks, I was having the same problem, went all through ACLs and permissions and couldn't figure it out, and this turned out to be the fix for me, as well.

freakynas

Cadet
thanks for sharing, saved a lot of searching. many thanks.