NFS mounts randomly unaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I was trying to add some NFS mounts to a clonezilla ESXi guest I was running and I was seeing some strange behavior.

I was able to mount the drive, but when I navigated to the directory and listed it contents on the ubuntu server I received:
Code:
ls: reading directory '.': Input/output error NFS mount

I also tried to restart Freenas, restaring NFS, creating a new share and trying. But nothing seems to work. I grew suspicious and connected to my ESXi host and tried to navigate on of the NFS shares I had mounted. This is also failing:
Code:
Failed to mount NFS datastore Mount Name mount 1serverIP:/mnt/directory failed: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it. - dismiss

I have been running some of these NFS mounts for over a year with no issues and I have been on the same version of 9.10 for quite some time now. I am not familiar with the "export" and I didnt want to go around poking too many things directly on my freenas server.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I have no idea what could have changed.

leenux_tux

Patron
Did you get this issue sorted ?? If I am understanding you correctly you have some folders exported via NFS from your FreeNAS box that you are attempting to connect to from a Clonezilla machine that is hosted as a Virtual Machine on VMWare ESXi ?

If so, a couple of things you could try....
  1. The VM you are using Clonezilla on, boot into Clonezilla, access a command prompt and run "showmount -e IP_ADDRESS_OF_FREENAS", This should give you a list of all NFS mounts on FreeNAS that are exported, plus, it will give you (if set) networks that can access that mount or it will say "(everyone)".
  2. If the above doesn't work for some reason, download a bootable version of Linux, boot into it in the Clonezilla guest, open up the command line and enter "showmount -e IP_ADDRESS_OF_FREENAS". Hopefully this will give you a list of exports from FreeNAS.
  3. If the above works, try manually mounting one of the exports. I use Clonezilla over NFS to image systems every now and again for backups so have "/mnt/TANK/SYSTEM-IMAGES" as an export on FreeNAS. To manually do the mount you first need somewhere to mount to, for example I have /media/SI as a folder on my local Linux laptop. To manually mount try "mount -t nfs IP_ADDRESS_OF_FREENAS:/NFS_SHARE_ON_FREENAS LOCAL_MOUNT" example, "mount -t nfs 192.168.1.100:/mnt/TANK/SYSTEM-IMAGES /media/SI"
  4. You may need to install nfs tools and utils to get this to work on your VM guest.
Give that a try, might give you some insight on where the issue is.

icsy7867

Contributor
Sorry I never replied to this. I am in the midst of planning my rebuild, and sort of forgot about it after getting everything back up and running.

Basically, I removed the "Authorized IP Addresses" and used "Authorized networks" instead. After this I had no trouble connecting to the shares. I honestly dont know what was going on, but everything is working. I have weird stuff happen with my AMD based system. Just got my hex-core Xeon-D motherboard in, can't wait to get freenas running on this thing!

leenux_tux

Patron
Ah yes, the good 'ol IP Address settings. At least you got it working. I have Auth Networks set on my server as well, never tried specific IP Addresses so can't say if this worked for me or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.