NFS And MAC OSX - Share Assistance Needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbddpp

Explorer
I am at wit's end on this one and figure it must be some brain block so I'm laying out the details in the hope that someone wiser (or less fried) than me can give me a solution. Please, I'm begging you.

I love FreeNAS and have the latest and greatest running. I'm a newb but a quick study. Up to the point now of setting up NFS shares.

Here's all I'm trying to do:

I simply want to share a single folder, to start, with read/write access, via NFS, to two OSX machines. I'd like this share to mount automatically/silently at boot and have full read/write access.

My two OSX machines: One runs at 10.7.5 and still has the "NFS Mounts" option in disk utility. The other machine is 10.8.2 and does not. Both are behaving similarly but for the purposes of this info here I'll be talking about the 10.7.5 machine.

My folder is called "ShareData", and stored on the FreeNAS server at the mount point: /mnt/data/ShareData.

On the OSX Box:

In order to mount this using finder and the "Connect To Server" option, I have to put the following into the Server Address box:

nfs://192.168.1.199:/mnt/data/ShareData

When I do this, I get a Mounted Drive on my desktop and accessible through terminal at /Volumes/ShareData. Seems ok so far. I can enter this folder and write data to it. But I had to manually do that via finder.

So now, onto the NFS Mounts section of Disk Utility. There, strangely enough, using 192.168.1.199 and /mnt/data/ShareData does not work. Here, NFS mounts won't accept my mount unless I put THIS in the "Remote NFS URL" Field: nfs://192.168.1.199/ShareData.

When I do, it's accepted, however, then when I go into terminal, I cannot even access /Volumes/ShareData. I get "Permission Denied". Of note, if I left the original finder ShareData mount, it remains, and the one from NFS Mounts is mounted as /Volumes/ShareData-1 (still permission denied).

So, what am I missing here in NFS Mounts that is mounting this with no rw permission? I of course don't have "Mount as Read Only" checked. Also, no parameters in "Advanced Mount Parameters".

On the FreeNAS Server:

For the NFS share:

Comment:Shared Data
Authorized Networks: 192.168.1.0/24
All Directories: Checked
Mapall User: nobody
Mapall Group: nobody
path: /mnt/data

/mnt/data and everything inside is set to nobody as owner for user and group. Permissions are 2775.

If I can provide more detail please let me know...This one's driving me nuts! Why OSX would insist on mounting this one way using Finder, and another using NFS mounts (or command line), and only allow RW access via the finder way, is killing me.

Thanks for any help!!! I'll be up late!

B.

bollar

Patron
Have you looked at NFS Manager to look at the NFS settings? Maybe something there, especially automount settings, will help.

Also, just I'm curious to know why you're not using AFP?

bbddpp

Explorer
I was having similar difficulties with AFP. The main reason is that the ultimate goal of this box is to share media out to XBMC installations on a variety of machines: Apple, OpenElec (linux based) and Windows. SMB is borked on Mountain Lion so that's out of the picture for now. AFP won't work for my Windows box or my Linux box. So I figure NFS is fast and universal. And theoretically it SHOULD work.

I can give NFS Manager a shot, though ultimately I was trying to avoid it and do it with command line...But maybe just as a temporary thing and then remove it once I see how I'm supposed to be mounting these things as far as settings flags go...

bollar

Patron

bbddpp

Explorer
Got some good info so far from NFS Manager. Interesting, anyway.

It ported in all the stuff I had already entered into the NFS Mounts area of Disk Utility, and it's got that nifty "Trigger selected mount now" option so I can test this particular mount (/Volumes/ShareData) out. When I do, I get a dialog box prompting for a user/password combo.

Enter Name and password for the following node: "/Local/Default". I have no idea what to put there. In print underneath it says "You are authenticating to a directory node. The node may require that you specify a short, case-sensitive user name which is not necessarily identical to your full user name in MAC OS X".

Is there something I have set wrong on the FreeNAS side that's causing this extra security to be placed on attempts to mount these folders this way?

EDIT - More info - It accepted my login/password for that OSX machine in those prompts. Did not accept any of my FreeNAS's user login or passwords. Once I input my OSX user name and password, got a "No permission" message from finder. This has to be something I set wrong permission-wise on FreeNAS. ANy idea what? I'm using UFS shares by the way, not ZFS, if that matters. Just a JBOD for now, separate volume for each drive. I don't think that has anything to do with NFS sharing but I figured I'd bring it up anyway.

louisk

Patron
I would try creating a user on the freenas box and mapping things to that user. Frequently NFS maps nobody to a valid user who has no privs.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
One of the big reasons to avoid AFP, if you can, is that it isn't multiuser friendly. Anyone wanting things like fast user switching with proper permissions probably has to look towards NFS.

strikeing_789d

Dabbler
I am trying to achieve the same thing I have the same setup my active directory server being separate (Mac xserve) and all I want to do is have my user(s) home folders accessible on the NAS. I am so stuck I have tried NFS and AFP shares and I cannot login with a network user to save my life... sigh someone please help if you can.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.