NFS and ESXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

some12

Cadet
I am experiencing horrible performance with my nfs datastores in esxi, as expected when reading about the sync options. Now I have a question, if say I create a second nfs share, which is not used as an esxi mount, and mount this in a vm with NO sync, what would the possible consequences be for me? The performance is around 20 times better with no sync... The way I understand it, is that ZFS also syncs, so it should be fine. On a power loss the most I could imagine is that a single file which is writing atm. could be corrupted. This I assume is the same that we would expect if writing something with samba and experience a power loss.

Dave Genton

Contributor
yep, terrible performance with ESXi which is well documented. Stability and safety of you data is at risk as you stated, nothing more, nothing less its a gamble. I've changed the sync myself in the past and watched the data fly by so much faster but in the end I always put it back :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am experiencing horrible performance with my nfs datastores in esxi, as expected when reading about the sync options. Now I have a question, if say I create a second nfs share, which is not used as an esxi mount, and mount this in a vm with NO sync, what would the possible consequences be for me? The performance is around 20 times better with no sync... The way I understand it, is that ZFS also syncs, so it should be fine. On a power loss the most I could imagine is that a single file which is writing atm. could be corrupted. This I assume is the same that we would expect if writing something with samba and experience a power loss.

ZFS syncs when the transmission requests a sync. You're looking at a few seconds of lost data - plenty to ruin whatever you were doing (along with your day). This applies to power losses, panics and similar situations.

some12

Cadet
First off thanks for the answers, but I have a couple of more questions

• My top goal is not to ruin my pool. Will I be able to destroy my pool with NFS / iscsi with and without sync?
  • If I use NFS as a datastore and have sync ON, will I be able to corrupt my vmdks?
  • If I use NFS as a datastore with sync OFF, I have the chance of corrupting my vmdks, which is why this method is not recommended, correct?
  • If I mount an NFS share with sync OFF on any system, be this a virtual machine or a normal machine, I will be able to corrupt single files, but not the whole pool, correct?
  • What is the difference in risk I am taking if I mount a share via NFS or samba?
I can live with a few seconds of lost data, even though it likely will ruin my day ;)
Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think the pool would survive, with damage being limited to the files being written.

• If I use NFS as a datastore and have sync ON, will I be able to corrupt my vmdks?
  • If I use NFS as a datastore with sync OFF, I have the chance of corrupting my vmdks, which is why this method is not recommended, correct?
  • If I mount an NFS share with sync OFF on any system, be this a virtual machine or a normal machine, I will be able to corrupt single files, but not the whole pool, correct?
  • What is the difference in risk I am taking if I mount a share via NFS or samba?

• There's always stuff that can go wrong, but generally the answer is no.
  • Yes, you'd lose the transaction group, which would probably mean a corrupted virtual disk image.
  • I believe so, yes (not 100% sure and again, there's always stuff that can go wrong. sync only helps to certain extent)
  • Should be the same thing, all else being equal

Status
Not open for further replies.