NFS aliases in SCALE?

nasmant

Cadet
Instead of requiring clients to mount "nas:/mnt/dozer/nfs/pmox_data/vm_backups" I'd like to share the dir as "nas:/vm_backups". I seem to remember being able to do it in the past, but could be wrong.
Does SCALE have the ability to share NFS aliases?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I've never seen that on FreeNAS. I spent some time arguing against the use of /mnt some years ago as a clear violation of the intent of hier(7), FHS, etc. and the feeling I got was that my issue, which yours is sort of a meta-version of, wasn't a concern to iX.

AndreKW

Cadet
Hi,
is there a solution for this?
I want to move some NFS shares from one dataset to an other. But for the future I want to prevent to change all the clients with their mount options and to be more flexible with new datasets.

André

jgreco

Resident Grinch
is there a solution for this?

Yes. Use the automounter for your client mounts. By using the automounter, you gain the ability to redefine the mount point on all your clients, assuming you use some directory service like NIS. This offers great flexibility with specifying your network's policy for mount points and to change them quickly from a centralized location.

Generally, NFS servers don't really support multiple paths for exports, so the exact feature that the OP was asking about is not available.