Scale 21.08: Can't mount NFS datastore in ESXI using NFS 4.0

gawainx

Dabbler
I've imported my pool from TrueNAS core and am having difficulty with NFS v4 which doesn't appear to be working correctly.

I had this working in Core, allowing me to have link redundancy however TrueNAS Scale is denying any NFS 4 mount attempts, I can add the share using NFS v3 though.

This is the error I get when attempting to mount via NFS v4

Key
haTask-ha-host-vim.host.DatastoreSystem.createNasDatastore-3003334326
Description
Creates a new Network Attached Storage (NAS) datastore
State
Failed - An error occurred during host configuration.
Errors

• Operation failed, diagnostics report: Mount failed: Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.: The NFS server denied the mount request

gawainx

Dabbler
Hmm, Might have figured something out, Looks like I have to create an alias for some reason...

gawainx

Dabbler
Yeah, for whatever reason I had to create a top level alias, it diddn't like that it was nested under /mnt/storage01/vmware-storage-nfs , Tried /nfs/vmware-storage-nfs but it rejected that as well.
right now i'm using a top level alias /vmware-storage-nfs

gawainx

Dabbler
I had a multitude of issues with Scale so am switching back to Core.
What I'm however finding is that while I was forced to create an NFS alias in Scale, I'm unable to do the same in core, so I'm going to have to re-add the datastore again, which will really piss off my distributed switch, forcing me to re-bind the NIC on each VM.

mevans336

Dabbler
Thanks, I am loving Scale but have been pulling my hair out to determine why NFSv3 works with VMware but v4 doesn't. Turns out all I needed to do was what you suggested, add an alias to the NFS mount. Weird.

gawainx

Dabbler
Thanks, I am loving Scale but have been pulling my hair out to determine why NFSv3 works with VMware but v4 doesn't. Turns out all I needed to do was what you suggested, add an alias to the NFS mount. Weird.
It caused all sorts of problems for vcenter and my distributed switches when I did that as it caused the VMS to get a new GUID due to the datastore path and GUID changing... I couldn't figure out where the datastore properties are stored in order to reassociate it with the old path so that the GUID wouldn't change.

eingemaischt

Dabbler
Sorry for "reopening" such an old thread.

I just tried to do the same - I can configure the nfs 4 mountpoints in vmware. But when trying to migrate VMs to it (or create and start new VMs on it) it has weird errors like unexpected sizes of the disk or stale file handle.

Am I right that the possibility to add aliases to nfs mounts was removed in scale?

Has anyone else an idea (or a best of tutorial) on how to make Truenas Scale become a nfs 4.1 hoster for vmware? Or is truenas core the choice for this purpose?

Arwen

MVP
You really need to open a new thread, because it is highly unlikely you are using SCALE 21.08.

And if you are, you need to update to much more current version of TrueNAS SCALE, like from 2023 at the minimum. Or at least check out the documentation to see if NFS 4.0 or NFS 4.1 is supported.

Then if the problem still exists in a current version of SCALE, you can report it as a bug.

eingemaischt

Dabbler
I searched a lot, on google and on this forum. I found many people with problems - but not one single hint how scale may serve as nfs server in this setting for vmware esxi.

So i switched to truenas scale - and it worked out of the box. Sorry!

Arwen

MVP
I searched a lot, on google and on this forum. I found many people with problems - but not one single hint how scale may serve as nfs server in this setting for vmware esxi.

So i switched to truenas scale - and it worked out of the box. Sorry!
Glad it is working now for you.