NextCloud Mount Point

ironeinstein

Cadet
Hi, new to FreeNas and not a linux pro in general but haven't found anything about how to do this... I want to use NextCloud to backup my phones but access the files (read only) from my windows machine. The thought was to create a mount point linked to a dataset in my pool and share the dataset using NFS. I've installed the NextCloud plugin and created a mount point at Source: /mnt/z2/nextcloud/ and Destination: /usr/local/www/nextcloud/data/

When I complete the install through the web GUI using this location for the data folder, I get the following error: "Your data directory is readable by other users. Please change the permissions to 0770 so that the directory cannot be listed by other users."

I've tried to change the permissions using the shell, but get the following when I try to use chmod as root: "chmod: data: Operation not permitted".

Am I going about this the wrong way or just missing something? Is there a better way to access the nextcloud files?

garm

Wizard
The nextcloud data directory should not be in your web root

If you need direct access to Nextcloud files you need to set up external storage

Nextcloud will use the service user to save the files, not the user logged in on Nextcloud. You need to set up an access group to allow other users to access your external storage.