Nextcloud. I can mount a dataset as local external storage as, but the folder is empty looking from Nextcloud?

jackdinn

Contributor
More problems :( i should ask in the NC forum but maybe you can help.

The "Photos" app on NC does not work properly any more (had to be the photos). Its blank if i select all media or photos, videos i get my videos listed from the mounted dataset (with no thumbnail but meh) they play fine, Folders is ok i can see the mounted dataset, i can go into it and find all the photos and it shows their thumbs and it works if i click on them too.
Iv tried resting the jail, my browser, cleared cache, rebooted my lappy, have not tried rebooting thr NAS yet.

Any idea? Thx.
Screenshot_20230505_114907.png Screenshot_20230505_115040.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nextcloud forum :wink:

jackdinn

Contributor
Nextcloud forum :wink:
I really should have given up when i found that the NC photos is a mess & has been for years. I pushed on as I'm not to well and i really need to give access to my server storage (mainly media stuff) to family and friends before its too late.

I mean how do you leave software that can not pick a colour in the colour picker for lines, shadows, text, You can not annotate text without it failing & wiping all your text back to lorum ipsum, when you edit photos they do not show the edit on the photo, and other things that you would think, what is going on, how could any programmer ever just leave things like this for years !

Yes it's free but id be very very happy to pay if it just worked :(

O well, cant say i didn't spend a couple of weeks desperately trying.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What is this photos app supposed to do? I simply share folders and if there are photos in them, then a preview image is rendered. This is good enough for us (family). Nextcloud is good and solid for all kinds of file sharing. Frequently they publish apps that are essentially built on top of that and so limited in features I find them mostly useless.

See their "wiki" named "Collectives" for some reason. Looks like nobody working at Nextcloud ever used Confluence. Or their agile project management app named "Deck". Seriously?

But a stable self hosted file sharing solution is still a nice thing to have, so I stick to Nextcloud for that. Add OnlyOffice and you can collaboratively edit the usual Microsoft documents. I mean, it's not that it was completely broken ...

jackdinn

Contributor
You are right. I prob sound angry. yep, i am but not at computers, but It does overflow a bit as things are atm.

Yea i can use the core "files" of NC i will just have to be very careful about what i share with who. I mean if my nan (or even parents) sees a load of files mixed in with pics or whatever they wont want to know. The photos was a really handy way to not only separate all the media but has a great date layout.
When i cool down a bit i shall revisit it and see what i can do with just the files.

Cheers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am completely with you. They push half finished apps out the door that are so buggy they are unusable. Possibly their app ecosystem is a volunteer effort? Are they "officially supported"? And what does that really mean? I mean, just compare TN CORE plugins ...

Each single app/plugin/thing can easily become just as complex as your entire base product. E.g. TrueNAS and Nextcloud. And frequently users here (not you) expect the Nextcloud experience on TrueNAS to be just as smooth as TN itself and iX supporting all of that. It's difficult.