Nexctcloud deployment - advice and suggestions

Gob

Dabbler
Hi

I posted this originally on the NextCloud forum but the only suggestion was to post here:

I need to build out an on-premise archive solution that will serve as an archive for aged projects on two different cloud storage services.
The requirement is a large amount of storage (around 100Tb initially) and also an easily searchable interface for a small number of non-technical people to browse the archive. Plus the ability to download / import project folders into NextCloud which could be several to 100 Gb in size. Access to the platform will be infrequent, so high performance isn’t an huge requirement.

I Also need to utilize the storage and hardware already within the business, so I plan to base the storage platform on an existing TruNAS Enterprise server stack (X20 + ES24 shelf) with currently around 150Tb of storage with capacity to expand. (this is out of warranty though).
An additional server will run nextcloud on Linux, either on bare metal or possibly on top of Proxmox VE.
Storage network would be over 10GBe.

My main query is is how to mount the storage into nextcloud.
  • Simplest would be present SMB/NFS as external storage, but I don’t think search indexing would work very well?
  • Present the storage over iSCSI to NC/Proxmox and mount the local ncdata directory on that. This would be a little trickier to configure but would be harder to expand the volume and would lose some of the ZFS file level optimisation and replication offered by TrueNAS.
  • Being able to import / copy large projects into the environment is also for consideration too.

Interested to hear any suggestions or from anyone with a similar setup.

Thanks