Newer Minimalist UI not your thing? Navigation of menus workflow - UI change request

omcn7

Dabbler
Greetings all,

As with the rest of you who are long time users of FreeNAS (now TrueNAS) I am finding the new UI a little tricky. It is - on the whole, a good change and I think it was time to make that step. I did do a search here on some terms to see if this has already been mentioned and I could just plus one to it. I was unable to find anything specific in the last couple years- since the new UI has been evolving.

My issue is with the collapsing menu layout. I use my monitors in a vertical layout aka landscape mode.

Here is a screenshot of what I see, and it applies to many UI menus for many functions. It's not a bug, it's just a design decision that I find - less functional.

Freenas-UI-Bug_annoyance-Screenshot_20200704_102140.png

As you can see here to make any changes I scroll to the right > then click the three dots to expand > then scroll back left (so I can see the dataset names) and scroll right again to expand.. rinse repeat. There has to be a better layout? I had the same issue in the normal horizontal monitor layout.

I do not have the window zoomed in. This is 1920x1080. I use Brave (aka Chromium) browser, latest version. The text size is medium, which is what is recommended.

I can't resize the side menu to make the datasets any wider, this is as narrow as it will go. This is full screen at full screen.

I have to say - it's a bad workflow. It is "pretty" which is of course subjective.

Would anyone else like to see this changed? Or am I just picky - or perhaps experiencing an issue you all are not having? I think the team has done a wonderful job here. I just would like to know if anyone else has this issue with a good number of the UI elements.

Here is a second example. There are several others menus with a similar issue.
freenas-bug-annoyance-two-Screenshot_20200704_110627.png

Scroll right> dropdown menu > scroll left

In this picture I only have one row, but when you have additional rows, like in the first image. You see what I am getting at? -Cheers to the dev team. Keep it civil, but what do you all think of this?

Alecmascot

Guru
I usually collapse the left hand menu...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think I'd describe the new GUI as "minimalist"--certainly it isn't so in its use of screen real estate, and I don't think it uses any fewer icons, buttons, switches, and knobs than what it replaced. But short of collapsing the sidebar, I'm not sure of a better way to do it in general. Some cases (like the jail example you posted) are grossly wasteful of space; none of the columns need to be as wide as they are. But others (like the pools screen you posted) are fairly tight there, and still need more.