Newbie trying to get Replication to work, got "Unable to unmount ; permission denied"

DavidYLau

Dabbler
Hi,
I'm trying to create another copy of my multimedia libraries on a 2nd TrueNAS-scale machine.

The sending machine is running TNS 22.02.4 while the receiving machine is running TNS 22.12.0.
I was able to setup the SSH connection between the two TNS machines.

But when I start the Replication task, I get this error:
[EFAULT] Passive side: I/O error
Active side: cannot unmount '/mnt/Main 6 SSDs/Multimedia': permission denied.

The receiving Multimedia dataset is set to owner/group=root/root. The ACL is set so that everybody has R/W/X privileges.
The dataset was accessible as a SMB share, but deleting that SMB share didn't make a difference, still got the above error.

Here's the task log:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 411, in run await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 446, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1272, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/replication.py", line 454, in run await self.middleware.call("zettarepl.run_replication_task", id, really_run, job)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1345, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1206, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 380, in run_replication_task self._run_replication_task_job(f"task_{id}", job)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 440, in _run_replication_task_job raise CallError(make_sentence(message.error)) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Passive side: I/O error
Active side: cannot unmount '/mnt/Main 6 SSDs/Multimedia': permission denied.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Any alerts, logs on the receiving side?

Is the system dataset on the same pool as Multimedia?

DavidYLau

Dabbler
Any alerts, logs on the receiving side?

Is the system dataset on the same pool as Multimedia?
Thanks for the comment..

On the receiving machine
1) No alerts, I'm assuming you mean the bell icon at the top banner.
2) I'm not sure which log to look at. Anyways in /var/log, I didn't see any mention of "unmount" nor "Multimedia".

Yes, the system dataset is on the same pool as Multimedia dataset.

dl

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
There is a ZFS limitation that the destination dataset should not be a primary/root dataset of a pool, but should be a child dataset... eg multimedia/backup ... not multimedia.

DavidYLau

Dabbler
There is a ZFS limitation that the destination dataset should not be a primary/root dataset of a pool, but should be a child dataset... eg multimedia/backup ... not multimedia.

Thanks for the info.

I've actually switched over to using rsync since I don't want the volume/dataset to be unmounted even for a few seconds as the Multimedia dataset is my plex libraries.

When I get a chance, I'll try replication on each of the subdirectories.

moww75190

Cadet
Hello,
Another noob here (home user) getting the same unmount permission issue when trying to do a PUSH replication of a dataset from a TrueNAS Core system to a TrueNAS Scale system. I'm able to get the SSH keys and connection running properly, however when the replication runs it hits this unmount permission error on the Scale side I'm using the root account on the Core side and the admin account on Scale side for this replication. The admin user on the scale side has "Allow all sudo commands" and "Allow all sudo commands with no password" checked.

I'm attaching the PUSH replication info and exerpt from the zettarepl.log file on the core side.

Appreciate any input on this issue.

Attachments

• repl.zip
    70.3 KB · Views: 22