Newbie trouble setting up server

camster

Cadet
Hi, so finally got round to setting up a home server with freenas for the first time.

I have a system built on a Supermicro X9SCM-F. I installed Freenas, though had to opt for the BIOS version as the UEFI wasn't loading after installation. Had to set the network interface once booted up, which I did, and had it up and running yesterday. I was able to connect via the web ui. I switched it off last night, turned it back on today, and can't connect for the life of me.

The system is booting up, the console shows the web user interface being at 192.168.1.101 (as yesterday), ifconfig shows the network port as active, but the router doesn't see the system as being on the network and trying to connect via the web ui just times out.

Any ideas? I'm pretty new to all this so please give me simple instructions :)

Thanks!

KrisBee

Wizard
Did you assign static IP to FreeNAS box or use DHCP? Using the shell from the FreeNAS console. can you (a) ping your router from FreeNAS using the router's IP and (b) ping an external address from FreeNAS?

From the shell you can use the command "netstat -r" to check your default gateway setting and "cat /etc/resolv.conf" to check your namesever setting.

Hopefully you did plug your ethernet calbe into one the non-IPMI ports on your m/board.

camster

Cadet
Thanks for reply. I had tried both static and DHCP, and indeed plugged the cable into the correct port! Problem turned out to be that I had the FreeNas plugged into a route that is simply functioning as an AP; as soon as I plugged it into the primary router, all worked. Still not sure why it shouldn't be communicating correctly with the primary router through the AP, as everything else does.