Newbie - Setup FreeNas with 10 GB Switch

Jim Cole

Cadet
Hi to everyone. Let me introduce myself to all. I am a retired accountant and sometimes frustrated electronics/computer hobbyist. I’ve used/supported/built/repaired/trashed most all computers and networks in existence since 1983 starting with Apple III through IBM mini-computers, networks and individual PC’s of Compaq, IBM’s, Dell’s and every flavor of roll-your-own DIY utilizing IDE, SCSI and SATA. In my world I used a computer everyday for every activity related to my chosen profession, accounting. I always wanted to build myself a backup/media server (in-home), so I decided to plunge head-on into FreeNas after watching a U-tube extoling its attributes.
I initially used 4 WD Green 2TB HDD’s and 1 GB NIC’s (Intel and Marvel chips) in a new Cooler Master case with an AMD Ryzen 2200G/Asrock B450 Pro4 MB and 16 GB RAM (non-ECC) connected to my home network based on a Spectrum cable modem/router/Wi-Fi connected to my 2 Win10 Computers, 3 Laptops, MS Surface Go, 2-TV’s, 2- AVR’s, 2-IPhones and 2-Fire Tablets. I setup FreeNas using Genie Timeline Pro v 10 as my Win10 backup software and started configuring and working with it. I setup a Ubuntu 10.04 VM and experimented with Plugins and all the items in Uncle Fester’s configuration cheat sheet. His outline is what finally brought it all together finally. JoshDW19 had welcomed me aboard at the same time I was frustrated in trying to figure out why, what and how this “thing” worked. ( not enough knowledge or experience with Linux to understand)
I deleted the pools, datasets and shares several times before it started falling into place. Then I got the “bright idea” to upgrade to a 10 GB switch as the only backups I was focusing on were in my home office within 10 feet of the Spectrum modem and my two Win10 workstations and location of the FreeNas Server. I purchased a Microtik CRS305 switch, 3 Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR adapters and DAC cables. That should put some zing in my backups and file transfers.
The upgrade to 10 G Switch worked almost as soon as I got the adaptors IP addresses established and all connected to my Spectrum Router (UBEE). Total cost of the 10 GB upgrade was Switch-$180, 3-Connextx-2 adapters -$135 and 3-DAC Cables- $85 = $400 all new equip. Speed increased immediately with little to no tuning or Jumbo Frames.
I gained a lot of my new knowledge from reading the forum and all the resources referenced.
Thanks to all for your help in the forums. I think just reading and thinking about the questions and responses gave me the insights needed to research all the issues needed to finally get up and running. It was very helpful.

Jim

P.S. Next challenge is setting up PLEX and upgrading to a faster AMD CPU with 16 cores with more ECC RAM. I promise to upgrade to ECC, but I don’t want any old servers with turbo-jets for fans running in my office. Everything I have now is water-cooled and quiet. The 10 GB Microtik switch is passively cooled.