Newbie: increase existing 1 disk pool by adding another disk (Stripe)

Dear community,

I am very, very new to TrueNAS and I am having some hard time in understanding a basic thing

I have installed TrueNAS on a super basic system (Intel Nuc with 1 5TB HD connected via USB) that I am willing to expand my Pool by adding another disk of 5TB
With my disappointed, the only thing that I managed to do was to get a mirror configuration. No way to expand to 10TB stripe configuration. Or how can I do?

If impossible, the other option would be to create a new pool I guess. And I also assume there will be no way to merge those 2 pools in a bigger one later on.

I know it's so basic, but I have not found clear resources on this

thank you!

Ehm...I managed to solved, finally!
I realized I could add a Vdev to my existing pool and....that was all.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
connected via USB
This is not the path to long-term success, which means:
Intel Nuc
Isn't a great selection of hardware for TrueNAS

Be aware that you're on a ticking time bomb for disk/pool failure due to the nature of ZFS transactions and USB controllers being unable to handle them.

Also, running with a striped pool may be convenient, you're all-in if any drive is lost, all is lost.

I know it's so basic, but I have not found clear resources on this
At the top of the page: Resources, then look for the ZFS primer.

Hi Sretalla,
thanks for your reply.

Oh gosh, so I am understanding that USB is a dangerous method to connect drives with TrueNAS, regardless the fact I am using a Nuc, right?

as I wish to reuse the HW I have (the NUC and 2x5b 2.5" drive) which can it be a preferable solution to:
- run a plex server
- install plug-in like sab/sonarr/etc
- access files from different devices
- (nice to have) run a OSX timemachine

I can think about:
- migrate to windows/linux and work with shared folders
- stay with Truenas but at least be in a more secure Mirror configuration
- other?

thanks for you recommendations!

sretalla