Newbie here, needing some tips and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcbasso

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm N00b here, and I have some questions:

1. I have to create a NAS server, I'm seeing to buy a ATOM Dual Core 1.8ghz (D510), with Zotac Motherboard (ZOTAC NM10-B-E) and 4gb RAM (500gb Sata III 16mb). Well, I need to know if a PC with this configuration I can make a simple NAS Server, to handle files in a network with 4 pcs only, and have a good performance.

2. Another question, I can use the FreeNAS with a NTFS storage? The support to NTFS system is stable? And about the perfomance?

Thanks all.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
1. Yes, lots of people use this configuration, your performance under Samba/Windows Share/CIFS won't be that good but works.. i'd guess 30-40MB/s

2. No, NTFS support sucks

warri

Guru
I'm running a very similar configuration, and you get speeds of 30-40 MB/s over CIFS like William said. SFTP is considerably slower with about 10 MB/s. The CIFS speed is sufficient to stream at least two Full HD-Streams simultaneously, and with other media there is absolutely no problem.
The advantage is a quiet system due to passive cooling and it doesn't need much power as well.

So you should be absolutely fine for a small network, although if you want to use encrypted data transfer or even encryption on the disk at a later point, when it is supported by FreeNAS, it will most likely be a performance-killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.